Did you mean: 

What Makes a Veteran

FIXED
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: What Makes a Veteran

Some of the ranks seem random to me to , i assume the software has decided what rank each user has been assigned  ?

I see Grafter is one of the the standard rank ,  thought i may have progressed a little bit in 7.5 yrs or so Cheesy , better keeping grafting GrinWink 

Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kevin
Rising Star

So basically it is number of posts then, AO.

Kevin.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It is longevity as well, but obviously you haven't made enough posts of the right type or in the right places perhaps. Plusnet refused to tell us how the Ranks work so that people couldn't try fiddling them, or indeed what all the ranks were!

Do you feel there should be a different Rank for people that have been here a long time but haven't made a lot of posts?
shutter didn't seem to like being a Community Veteran, I think he's happy with being an Old Codger :tongueincheeksmiley:

Kevin
Rising Star

The term Veteran always makes me think of someone who has been around a long time, as opposed to someone who has posted a lot.
It would probably make it even more confusing if they introduced a title for length of service lurking!

Yeah, maybe Old Codger would suit me too!  Smiley

Kevin.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There was a huge amount of discussion on community roles / designations.  There was a desire to make this place 'fun' and that there be many 'grades' through which one can pass as a result of doing different things, achieving different levels of recognition - it is not as simple as post count.  The mods, bright sparks and a few others were merged in to the Veteran group... not my personal preference, but that is what has happened! 

Edit: Indeed so they are - still a group set apart from us ... so it must have been the Legends who were also merged into Veterans? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

think mods are still mods Wink Smiley

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

There`s only a few mods, so come on  rockers... let`s go and "get `em"   Grin

Yeah... Old Codger would suit me...  Veteran harks back to days in the army in Vietnam.... etc...

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Fix

see you in brighton? Wink 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Any time May 18th-June 7th, dvorak.Cheesy

John
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Townman wrote:
There was a huge amount of discussion on community roles / designations.  There was a desire to make this place 'fun' and that there be many 'grades' through which one can pass as a result of doing different things, achieving different levels of recognition - it is not as simple as post count.  The mods, bright sparks and a few others were merged in to the Veteran group... not my personal preference, but that is what has happened! 

Just went and took a look at the Lithium Community site - http://community.Lithium.com/ (seeing anything at all requires registering) - and whilst they have "ranks" shown like "rock star" and "hero" (no comment) there are also inclusions like "Esteemed Contributor" which I quite liked, would that suit people better than "Community Veteran", perhaps?

Maybe also worth mentioning that despite "34,000+ members" emblazoned on the Lithium Community front page, their forum is a whole lot quieter than this one : D 

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Must admit, I quite like Esteemed Contributor.

Having said that, I'm also partially to blame for the Community Veteran monicker.

If we can get a bunch of alternative suggestions then we can set up a vote and have those assigned the role choose their preference?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@bobpullen,

As I observed, we discussed this to death before hand - seeking a distinction between peer recognised contributors and pure volume contributors.  The suggestions were ignored as not what was being sought: if revisited, will suggestions now be adopted?

As a starter for 10, let's just return to a not changed option, reinstate Bright Sparks & Legends as they were, then review what's left of the veterans.

Anotherone
Champion

But I think you might want to ask @Oldjim what he would prefer. I got the impression (maybe wrongly) that he wasn't overly happy with Legend, he might prefer Community Veteran - or the one shutter was happy with Shocked

Anotherone
Champion

@bobpullen wrote:
Must admit, I quite like Esteemed Contributor.

Yes, that sounds like quite a good one, but it must be a peer recognised ranking. It's certainly better than some of the ranking names I've seen elsewhere.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not too bothered but I would prefer to revert to my previous (a very long time ago) title of Bright Spark