Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'This fixed my problem' anomaly

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

'This fixed my problem' anomaly

I've noticed a few threads recently where the OP has nominated one of their own posts as the 'fix'.

No doubt this is due to the sudden influx of new posters who've come to the forum in a time of crisis, but surely the forum software should prevent this happeneing at all.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: 'This fixed my problem' anomaly

I believe that’s been the case ever since we migrated to this forum in April 2016. I understand where you’re coming from, though sometimes a OP’s own post may rightfully be ‘the fix’ if it contains the necessary information and there’s no other relevant post to mark as fixed. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Gandalf wrote:

I understand where you’re coming from, though sometimes a OP’s own post may rightfully be ‘the fix’ if it contains the necessary information and there’s no other relevant post to mark as fixed. 

Agreed that this is occasionally the case but from what I see it's normally a failure of the OP to understand how it's supposed to work. This is understandable because if there is any guidance, I have never seen it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

If you see a fix that shouldn’t be applied then you can report it to the moderators and it can be reviewed and acted upon.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@dvorak @Baldrick1 @Gandalf 

Thanks for all contributions - I guess that's cleared up now.

Not really "fixed", so no tick.  😜

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Bah. Lost out on internet points 😂😛
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

*grumbles to himself and walks away*

(I too like internet points Cheesy 😁)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

I put it down to the somewhat pervasive inability to read (along with write) properly.

The button says “THIS fixed my problem” not “My problem is now fixed”. They are not the same.

This was raised as an issue during testing with a change request that an OP be prohibited from marking their own post as the fix. The the request was rejected on the grounds that OCCASIONALLY an OP might find the solution themselves. I contended that in such circumstances the mods be asked to apply the “This fixed it” marker, but that did not influence thinking. I guess that if you can find away of accepting (justifying?) aberrant characteristics you can save the cost of fixing them?

Instead we now need to call on the mods to modify more incorrect attributions than we see valid self fixed. Maybe that’s their new role title - “Modifiers”? Wink

Note if ever on my posts one sees the “mods” referred to as the “kids” please put it down to a fat thumb on an iPhone (or predictive text) in conjunction with a failure to reread properly before posting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Townman wrote:
This was raised as an issue during testing with a change request that an OP be prohibited from marking their own post as the fix. The the request was rejected on the grounds that OCCASIONALLY an OP might find the solution themselves.

Occasionally? Rarely, I'd say. Even then, it's most likely to be misoperation or misunderstanding, and it would be better if OPs were not able to nominate their own post as a fix.

Agreed re comprehension!

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)