Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text/Background Contrast

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Text/Background Contrast

This may be old hat but the header of this forum seems to have changed - then again it may have happened a while ago and I didn't notice (if so blame old age)
The contrast between the header bar and the "FORUM, SEARCH, etc. text is low and certainly doesn't meet the RNIB guidelines which must potentially cause problems for those with poor eyesight.
15 REPLIES 15
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Text/Background Contrast

did you notice a coloured square around the Plus Net/ We will do you proud
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

No Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
James
Grafter

I don't know the colouring specifics, but this is when we changed the strap line underneath the Plusnet logo in the top left.
community
Grafter

I am poor at distinguishing different colours which together with ageing eyesight makes it difficult to see quite a few forum messages, not just PN.
Can Pn take up this mild complaint and put moreContrast into the website please...
Later I even find it hard to see this contrast I put in the letter!
In fact I think that the whole setup of the page is far too bland...let's have something bold please!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case - I seriously suggest that the Plusnet web design people are made to read and understand the requirements for a website with good contrast for those with impaired sight.
http://www.rnib.org.uk/professionals/webaccessibility/lawsandstandards/Pages/laws_standards.aspx
UK Law
It has been a legal requirement for UK websites to be accessible since 1999. Since then all websites have been expected to make "reasonable adjustments" to ensure their websites accommodate all users regardless of ability, disability.
It is about time that the marketing experts who seem to decide on the colour schemes are told in no uncertain manner that they must conform to UK Law
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
Sorry about that, I've just checked with the web team and the header that's there is a temporary measure. The proper new one (which will have contrast) is being designed now and should be up within a few weeks at the latest.
community
Grafter

Header?Huh
I thought we were complaining about the background and the lack of visibility????
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The header is everything above and including the grey band with FORUM, SEARCH, etc. in it
community
Grafter

Thanks oldjim
that is for me very disappointing.
I have difficulty in READING the actual questions and answers
I'm not too bothered about the header.
I thought I had explained my problem earlier but it seems not taken up...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Your problem was discussed at length when the new layout was introduced yonks ago and they did lighten the grey background to alternating posts.
I agree the font/background contrast could be improved but not just by changing the colour.
Have you tried changing the default magnification using the Ctrl key with the scroll button on the mouse as that really fixes it
This show the before and after
community
Grafter

Thanks oldjim. I just tried that...
That's IS an improvement which I can live with.
I would still like not to have to do that every time.
In my opinion, the real answer is to have the facility to change to a selection of background setups as in other Forums I frequent.
Have a look at this one.
Scroll to the bottom left and click the white box. You can change the background to more choices.
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I use Firefox and it remembers the preference for that site
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I spent a day recently on the internet without my glasses and used Ctrl + to see pages more clearly.
As Jim says this was remembered by FF and I still come across the odd site that I visited that I have to reset with Ctrl 0.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on the colours, a few years ago PN did another dodgy with the colours and we had a small add on to correct it, any one remember what it was?