Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching between forums

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Switching between forums

I only regularly use the General and Tech help forums (general is actually my browser home page and has been for donkeys years).

I know it only takes a moment or two going through the menu's but it seems to me it would be helpful to some if the large "forum" button on this page had say a right click option to go directly to your choice of another forum.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES 9
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Switching between forums

erm.... right click on a big button... = list of other forums?   then click on the forum ? 

How about  left click on the word "Forums" at top of page... and then view the list of forums  and left click on the one you want ? ? ?

or am I missing something...

Like you I rarely go to other branches of the forum... and have Tech Help and General Chat as the first two bookmarks on my list... so I can bring them both up separately, and alternate on the pages as required.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Why not have them as the first two tabs in the browser with a third tab as the main forum.page listing all the boards?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The 'Browse' button does this already if you want to navigate to a particular area. Taking control of the right mouse button would involve a lot of work with its own javascript code and a meaty API call to get the structure as well as marking it up and styling, I don't think a lot of users would think to right click the button though. A good idea but a lot of work for something that already exists and a lot of users wouldn't use.

If you are interested in only a few particular boards, have you tried 'floating' the board? This will place your chosen board right at the top of the page on the forum view. Doing this enables you to have some customisation on the boards you are interested in.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 09.25.08.png

I have several boards floated for myself as I am only interested in those areas.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can either use the links in the breadcrumbs:

Switching_between_forums_-_Plusnet_Community_-_2017-08-17_09.36.53.png

or you might find bookmarking https://community.plus.net/t5/Other-forums/ct-p/Other useful!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petlew
Pro

Thanks jaread83, I quite like that idea. but I don't seem to have the "Float this board for current user" option, unless I'm not looking in the right place for it?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

@petlew, click on the thread options box on the page you are viewing.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's board options (when viewing the board index) he wants not thread options!

Board options.jpg

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petlew
Pro

Thanks gents. Both the previous answers were right depending on what page you are viewing. The forum menu or a topic.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

You could also subscribe to an entire board if you wanted to be notified of every new post within a certain area. It might bombard you with notifications though depending on how busy it was.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.