cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spruce This Place Up A Bit Over The Festive Period

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Spruce This Place Up A Bit Over The Festive Period

For us regular users, Its Christmas and the forum just looks the same, How about sprucing It up at the festive period with some mistletoe or something and have an advent calendar full of surprises?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
12 REPLIES 12
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Spruce This Place Up A Bit Over The Festive Period

Nice idea, but given limited resources, I'd rather see PN energy fixing operational issues.
Bah Humbug indeed!!  Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I am pretty sure this could be Implemented without losing performance,See windows 7 forum for example In my Screenshot...
Not applicable

Yes, the community site looks decidedly dull.  As far as I remember it has never been trimmed up at Christmas.  
However, the main Plusnet site used to be decorated at various times of year.  I wonder if there was a creative member of staff who used to do it and who has now left?
I would have thought that at least the member centre might have been given a make-over for Christmas, particularly as it is not a very time-consuming job to the knowledgeable staff.
On reflection, there has been no input in this area since BT took over - just checked their forum and there is not a bauble or sprig of holly in site.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

When we had access to the webcams we could see the office decorations etc at PN Towers.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they could have had a header like this
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Maybe just maybe Plusnet can sort something out for next Christmas? I know there Is more Important Issues to hand but would be nice, Quite a lot of websites change to something festive for the festive period, So Plusnet what do you reckon?
brokenthumb
Grafter

@OP +1
Also, is it just me, or, has no one else been giggling at the obvious Spruce/Christmas gag?
Ba-Dum-Tish!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Poppy your site was certainly looking In the festive spirit! Now If you can do that so can Plusnet, Perhaps they should give you a job? Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have a look here for how it can be done http://www.google.com/logos
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Or here for how we used to do it!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Bob " used to"? Why did It stop?
Not applicable

Glad that you have joined this thread Bob and provided the link - my memory is obviously not as bad as I thought.  Mainly the themes used to be on the main member centre pages as I recall and very nice they were too.  Is there any reason why it isn't done these days?  Presumably lack of time?
Steve - with regards to the Christmas theme on my own site I cannot claim the glory. My web designer, Ally did it for me but it was very easy and quick because it was a stock template for phpbb forums.
She changed it in a jiffy.  There were one or two functions that did not work so well with the theme but we managed OK.  I just change the site and guest announcement centres with banners, special announcements and other bits and pieces.  I am trying to teach myself banner making with Gimp as I find it easier than Paint Shop Pro.  It is a slow job though as I have had no formal training.
Have found BannerFans though and it does a passable job.  In best Blue Peter tradition, here is one I made for jmdlp earlier today: