Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spell checker?

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Spell checker?

I think this has been mentioned before, but I can't find the post - the automatic spell-checker (which highlighted possible errors while typing) seems to have been removed since the last Khorus update - why?

I appreciate there is still the manual option - IF you expand the toolbar - but not everyone will know this.

John
33 REPLIES 33
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Spell checker?

My spill chucker works a treat 😂😂😂😂
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jab1 wrote:

I appreciate there is still the manual option

...but even then, a right click doesn't offer likely corrections, as in the Firefox browser or MS Word.

On most sites, the Firefox checker woks fine, so why not here? 

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

@198kHz I intentionally mis-spelt words in my OP, and did get the correct spelling, but as you say, most sites work fine with the FF dictionary, auto-highlighting errors, as did this site prior to the 'update'

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jab1 wrote:

I intentionally mis-spelt words in my OP, and did get the correct spelling...

I was wondering why I didn't, but I do now - never thought to try a left click. D'oh!  🙄 

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I suspect that it is all conencted with the hash-up Lithium have made with the embedded TinyMCE editor with @JonoH has been trying to get them to fix for a while now.  TinyMCE can be configured to use the browser spell checker - I suspect it is turned off.

For the so called "best in the industry" they have made a right hash of the user interface.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman Thanks for that information - I'd forgotten about that foul-up.

It can't be that hard to turn back on, surely - it was working just prior to the latest 'update'.

John
mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

"Grammarly" is a good option on Windows.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't need it - the spell-checker is still there, just slightly 'hidden' and not automatic as it was before the last 'upgrade' to the core functions of the forum.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Just had an update elsewhere that someone has found a setting which could be tweaked... under the appropriate change control.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oooh I see the manual spell checker has returned .. let's see if it works.

It does, I did prefer the original UI though before it was removed. At least it only underlines words which have already been checked by it.

Doesn't seem a bad idea, and better than nothing. Also you can the red underlining off if you click the spelling icon again which I like as the red underlining as you type really gets on my nerves.

First post since using it, but impressed so far.

jab1
Legend

@Townman wrote:
Just had an update elsewhere that someone has found a setting which could be tweaked... under the appropriate change control.

Well, I wish someone would tweak it - my spelling is not bad, but as I'm not a touch typist, if I type a long post I sometimes 'mistype' and miss errors on a quick proof-read.

John
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

Apologies for any inconvenience this has been causing.

The spellchecker on the community forums should now be set to use your browser spellchecker.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Okey dokey @HarryB  - I think it's working, but I'll reserve judgement until I can check later with a longer post.

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks @HarryB   done a couple of quick checks and it seems fine.