Did you mean: 

Slightly annoying design faults?

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Slightly annoying design faults?

Two that really irritate:

1. a pinned thread appears twice in the list if a new message is added to it

2. a message selected as a "fix" appears twice in a thread and the link to the message points to the (redundant) added/displayed copy

Missing preference options:

1. not option to turn off avatars

2. no option to suppress display of entries in the column containing "New fixes" etc

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Slightly annoying design faults?

I've given up reporting all the problems I'm seeing with this forum.

I'm clearly wasting my time providing debug info, as nothing is getting fixed.

Cry

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I am always taking in feedback and making notes so don't think that your efforts are in vain!

Unfortunately the OP is describing things that cannot be changed as thats the standard way that this system works.

During testing we flagged up the pinned thread duplication but this is just how the system works. I might be able to come up with some Javascript and try to physically hide/remove the duplicated thread so I have added this to my enhancement list.

We asked why the 'fix' was displayed twice but it actually makes sense this way - users who have come to the thread to get the 'fix' will see the solution straight away instead of having to scroll through pages of replies. The reason its repeated is so you can still go through the normal flow of replies.

There is no option to turn off avatars but I can certainly put the idea forward to Lithium to implement something in a future release.

I am unsure what you mean with the supressing of entries on the 'new fixes' panel. There is currently no options to change the amount of items displayed on the homepage. We are looking at changing the homepage in the future to utilise the options in the settings so you can change the amount of subscription entries that are displayed but that will come at a later date when we have ironed out some of the more important issues raised. The settings I speak of only work for some panels and we have a few more than what is available in the settings.

Rest assured, I am always reading feedback and I for one welcome it so if there is something that is bugging you or if you think something could be improved around here please create a topic and we can discuss it and possibly get some ideas going and get things changed.

Just a heads up, I am just a Front End developer and can't change how the system works (that would be down to Lithium) but I can create some (limited) customisations and change things at a visual level so I am open to ideas.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaread83 wrote:

I am always taking in feedback and making notes so don't think that your efforts are in vain!

In that case, when should we expect to start seeing problems reported more than a month ago being fixed ?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@jaread83 wrote:

We asked why the 'fix' was displayed twice but it actually makes sense this way - users who have come to the thread to get the 'fix' will see the solution straight away instead of having to scroll through pages of replies. The reason its repeated is so you can still go through the normal flow of replies..

We will have to agree to disagree Shocked  A link to the copy of the fix is added to the post when a fix is selected. This should point to the actual post which means no manual scrolling would be needed to go directly to it and also puts it context of the thread.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Anonymous wrote:
In that case, when should we expect to start seeing problems reported more than a month ago being fixed ?

I have a bunch of updates ready to go live that have gone through code review and QA testing. I am just waiting for the go ahead to put them live as I need to have these things signed off by CM. @LouisaMartin, do you know when we can expect to push the changes from staging to live?

As for what is being updated, I am going to be posting those details before the fact here.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well that will be "interesting" as I haven't seen a complete list anywhere else.

Anotherone
Champion

@Anonymous wrote:

I've given up reporting all the problems I'm seeing with this forum.

I'm clearly wasting my time providing debug info, as nothing is getting fixed.

Cry

Please keep reporting the problems, unless we continue to do so, things will go from bad to worse.
However, I do think you are wasting your time providing debug info as I'm seriously beginning to doubt whether Lithium are competent enough to understand it or indeed whether they actually understand some of the basic problems we've uncovered Crazy3

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Anotherone, the complete list is not public and is in our internal system.

A list of changes being rolled out are posted on the staging site (as you already know).

Anotherone
Champion

I will reply over there Jack, before I lose my cool.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I hope I haven't upset you in some way @Anotherone...

Anotherone
Champion

Not you personally Jack.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone wrote:

Please keep reporting the problems, unless we continue to do so, things will go from bad to worse.

It is very difficult to remain enthusiastic about reporting errors when staff give no indication of doing anything about month old fault reports, when every damn page takes 9 to 20 seconds to load, posts vanish, the editor fails, and general navigation is such a struggle.

Cry

Anotherone
Champion

@Anonymous wrote:
when every damn page takes 9 to 20 seconds to load

With that sort of issue, I can fully understand why you are struggling with general navigation. As I am not experiencing that issue, I'm can't make any obvious suggestion at this time.

Anotherone
Champion

@PeeGee wrote:

@jaread83 wrote:
We asked why the 'fix' was displayed twice but it actually makes sense this way - users who have come to the thread to get the 'fix' will see the solution straight away instead of having to scroll through pages of replies. The reason its repeated is so you can still go through the normal flow of replies..

We will have to agree to disagree Shocked  A link to the copy of the fix is added to the post when a fix is selected. This should point to the actual post which means no manual scrolling would be needed to go directly to it and also puts it context of the thread.

Phil

Phil that is precisely what I said in testing. Even knowing that's the case, I find it difficult to scroll past the duplicate "fix" response at the top of the thread, and as most threads are not simple non-tech issues, it makes reading the thread more disjointed.
Further more, when you look at a thread that only has the OP and a single simple one answer fix, it not only looks stupid, it looks totally unprofessional - another comment that I made.
@jaread83 I disagree that it makes sense when there is a link, you know my opinion about this and I've just repeated it.

@jaread83 wrote:
During testing we flagged up the pinned thread duplication but this is just how the system works.

I thought that as a result of this Lithium were requested to provide an Option to turn it off, along with an option to turn off the duplicate fix, are you saying that is not the case? Perhaps @LouisaMartin can answer that?