Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUGGESTION: Automatically lock dormant threads

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: SUGGESTION: Automatically lock dormant threads

@Anonymous

How can you criticise them for not paying attention to something they haven't seen?

Edit: I've attached a screen shot of what you currently see when you reply to an old topic - there is NO warning!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quite easily, have a look at message two on this thread, or were you not paying attention.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Anonymous / @jelv

May be it varies by bowser, screen size or PC / line speed.

The warning is certainly there on page load, as shown in post #2 and as I have just seen looking at the topic referenced by Jelv ... but on my 5mbps my page load and client side execution might be slower than Jelv's super fast A&A service ... so I do see it before it scrolls out of sight.

There is some possibility that you are both right... Cool_smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

A bit of testing shows it is browser dependant (all tests on Win 10):

Firefox; warning not visible

Google Chrome: visible

Opera: visible (it didn't scroll at all)

IE11: not visible

Edge: not visible

Palemoon: not visible

Also: I don't have an Android phone but I do have an Android emulator running on my PC for testing. The warning is scrolled off the top on that as well. That surprised me as I expected it to be the same as Chrome.

Edit: Correction - there's two different browsers the emulator - the one that is called browser was as described above. Chrome didn't scroll at all.

Going by the above I'd say the majority of users don't see the warning.

@jaread83 Have you tested the fix in all browsers? - I've seen four different results across the above browsers.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

You tested this on the staging site @jelv?

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I looked at it on Staging a few days ago and it's much better BUT that was only with one browser. I'll do some further checks later and post back in due course, along with some further comments.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@jaread83 No - on here as I wanted to understand what users are currently seeing (or not seeing!).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jelv

Nice one! Thumbs_Up

FWIW my previous comment was in respect of Edge (Win10) on a 49" panel.

Safari on an ipad mini (ios 11) briefly shows the banner before scrolling out of sight.

On an iPhone (ios 11) its all so quick it is not visible.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Just to add to the amount of testing required I'm seeing Chrome in the Android emulator behave differently in portrait and landscape mode!

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I prolong releases due to other things waiting for approval and testing after development. The current stuff I got waiting on staging was done in my own time, outside of work hours and the internal ticket that I had raised has not been scheduled in to my day to day work so I can't get these things tested by QA (which requires time from another team) and I need to put an official 'time spent' on each task as well as pull in resources from QA - resources I am not authorised to take. Thats just the normal procedure in the development life cycle for all our software here.

I will have a chat with my production lead and see if I can get some resource to QA my fixes and have the time documented. I never release fixes without having a fresh perspective taking a look to make sure they work as expected.

In terms of prolonging this discussion - I'd rather I get all the details right and have a plan of action in place. Everything that is said in this thread will be considered when I make the plans. Its not just me working on the Community, I got a team here that will also pickup the work as I have been training them with how to develop new features here (the polls for example were done by a member of my team). If I have a proper plan and technical spec in place, the task can then be sized and scheduled into a sprint and time logged accordingly against it. Currently, there are higher priority items (outside of Community - hence why I did those fixes in my own time) that unfortunately take precedence over making small changes here.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The poll finished a few days ago and the results are in. It was close:

1st place: 12 months (6 votes)
2nd place: 6 months (5 votes)

The other options were tied with 2 votes with one option (18 months) having 0 votes.

Thanks to those who voted.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/home-phone-voicemail/m-p/1502382#M25288 this is an example where a thread nearly 4 years old was resurrected

I have notified the mods so perhaps it will be split off

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Another old topic resurrected: https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/2-different-charges-for-same-number/m-p/1515408#M25709 Sad

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Odd.  A newbie joined yesterday and only 4 posts on a similar topic. Not clear what the expected  response is, particularly to this old thread?