cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIte load process / performance

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Serious lag on the site and notification emails.

Moderator's note:

Topics merged for clarity.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Serious lag on the site and notification emails.

Oops! Thanks @Strat

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: SIte load process / performance

I have had a reply from Lithium support. They have noticed that the uptime for the community is very high right now. They have asked my permission to perform a complete restart and cache clear in the early hours tonight. I have replied to them letting them know that I am happy for them to go ahead and do this. Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this everyone.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@jaread83 I know it's early in the morning, so not so many are using the forum, but the response time when accessing an individual board seems a little faster.

Still nowhere as fast as it ought to be though - I'm still seeing 'waiting for plusnet' at various points.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It does seem a little faster, but you can still see the paint drying. it is evident that a lot of the static content is being reloaded rather than being brought from cache.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks a lot quicker according to the graphs

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 08.57.32.png

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I note that the homepage hasn't sped up all that much but other pages have reduced by about 80ms

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@jaread83 wrote:

Looks a lot quicker

It feels a lot quicker Cool

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend

For me, it is generally quicker, but I still see a pause at the start of any operation 'waiting for community.plus.net'. Surely if I am already 'on' the community, I shouldn't have to wait for it?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Just noticed that UNREAD items in search results display with the wrong font.

Capture Wrong Font.JPG

Is this related to the font changing during the load process issue, or is this just a case of an error in the CSS class?

<span class="lia-message-unread">

<a class="page-link lia-link-navigation lia-custom-event" id="link_2_31e62b99ced9d5_7_345d" href="/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/end-copper-line/m-p/1477535?search-action-id=23187220201&amp;search-result-uid=1477535">
                            end copper line

</a>

</span>

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I shall take a look at this today as part of my investigation into the profile stats stuff. I beleive the same happens on unread sent items in private messages. Will fix this asap.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Okay so the font issue, as far as I can tell, is directly linked to the GDPR banner that pops up. This is because the same font is used and served from www.plus.net and is subsequently blocked due to the CORS policy not allowing other domains to use that font from the plus.net domain. Now... I have added some fallback fonts as the CSS was asking for the plusnet font and when it didn't render, it would display the ugly Times New Roman style font which is a default font when no other is available. I have added Arial and Sans-serif as a fallback and this has kicked the CSS into rendering the font hosted on the community properly.

I have checked the sent messages and also the search page - this seems to have fixed the font issue. You may need to perform a hard refresh to get the new CSS but it should be okay now? If anything, if the font fails to load you will at least get a screen friendly font. Screenshot below of search results.

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 16.27.00.png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Jack - great detective work. Is this live or just on staging awaiting the next release slot?

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 -Still getting variable fonts on the index page - this is one I haven't seen before:-

Forum.PNG

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jab1 - please see my comment about that

I have added some fallback fonts as the CSS was asking for the plusnet font and when it didn't render, it would display the ugly Times New Roman style font which is a default font when no other is available. I have added Arial and Sans-serif as a fallback

Its not a final resolution to the issue but its all I can do at this very moment due to me doing this all outside of my normal work schedule. I will need to raise an internal ticket to get some time put aside to investigate this properly and put a proper solution in place. The main issue is that the font hosted here is clashing with the font hosted on the plusnet main website (which is being pulled in via the GDPR cookie banner). At least I have now identified the main cause of the font issues.