Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated Notification and Email

FIXED
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Repeated Notification and Email

I got 5 Notifications at roughly 2 minute intervals from a single mention in this post
https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Line-cease-and-new-contract-feedback-ish/m-p/1354781#...

See screenshot

notification - 3 Aug.JPG

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

18 REPLIES 18
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Repeated Notification and Email

Hi @MauriceC,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It has happened a couple of times to me as well but only when the @ mentions are used. Noone else had flagged it up so I assumed it was just me or that someone was going back and editting a post with my name in it...

I have a hunch on this as it seems to happen with long posts, posts that would initiate the autosave feature.. maybe it is triggering when being autosaved? I will keep to experiment a bit and see if I can replicate the behaviour.

While I experiment and try to narrow down what I think is happening, I will contact Louisa and get this raised as a bug to be investigated by Lithium.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @MauriceC,

Okay, I have just had a closer look at your screenshot and the link to the post. You were getting the notifications at 10:44pm, the linked post was created at 10:44pm so this is correct. Then you received a notification every few minutes afterwards in no consistent time intervals. Looking at the message, the user editted their post 5 times in 6 minutes until leaving it alone at 10:50 which is also the time of your last notification.

I am not sure if it is possible to change this behaviour as if an editted post contained new @ mention, those users should also get a notification.

I will still ask Louisa to raise a support ticket to see if there is anything we can do about the multiple mentions for the same post though. This isn't something I have any control over unfortunately.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Thanks Jack,  it just looks very clumsy, another component of the 'unfinished' Notification system.

I really like the idea of the Notifications but in the current state of release it just gets in the way and could be removed without much loss?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I use it all the time as I am used to notification systems on modern platforms. I don't think I could keep up with everything without it.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

From a staff perspective notifications are incredibly useful, although I have also been hit by this issue when someone modified a post several times while mentioning me.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

It also happend to me

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have asked Louisa to raise a support ticket to see if there is anything that can be done about it.

I have my doubts that anything can be done as the notification still needs to be sent for when a user edits a post and creates a new @ mention and I am not sure if the system is able to detect if the original user had already received a notification.

I wouldn't want to get rid of the notification system though as a lot of users find it helpful and without it you are then relying on your email for notifications or have to keep a very close eye on the threads/boards you are subscribed to.

Let's see if Lithium can provide a solution for the multiple notifications on editted posts though.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@rongtw wrote:

It also happend to me

I noticed your name on that post as well @rongtw so you would have had the same thing happen to you.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83 wrote:

Let's see if Lithium can provide a solution for the multiple notifications on edited posts though.

A severe case of optimism developing here Jack.  Evil

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I am an optimistic person Smiley you wouldn't have guessed I have been in the web dev business for almost 10 years with this kind of optimism!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I've had it happen as well, just another of those "features" which was low enough on the priority list to warrant a serious mention.

@Chris wrote:

....... although I have also been hit by this issue when someone modified a post several times while mentioning me.

Ha, must remember that when I need your attention Wink Tongue

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course 'fixing' this may not be as easy as it sounds. The system knows the thread’s been edited so could maybe use that information to prevent the subsequent notifications, but what happens if in that edit a new user has been referenced using @? This would then mean that all @ references in the message would need to be tracked so they could be excluded when / if additional ones are included in subsequent edits, but how easy, if at all possible this is, I don’t know.

Then there is the issue of later notifications when a post isn’t edited until later in the day, with the existing code you’d know this happened but if a solution similar to the above is implemented then you’d have no idea, but it (the edit) could have a significant bearing on the content of the post and / or your response to it.

To me it would make sense to only issue an ‘edit’ notification when the user referenced using the @ has in fact read the original post, otherwise there is no need to as the edit would have no or limited effect.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That was exactly what I was thinking Mook although you explained it better than I could.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

I had spoken with Lithium engineers to look into this and it appears to be fixed now. I have tested this on a private board with a seperate user, @ mentioned them, got the notification appear on my avatar, got the user to edit the post multiple times and I no longer get multiple notifications for the edit.

Consider this bug officially squashed!

Thank you for your patience on this matter.