Did you mean: 

Problem Joining These Forums

FIXED
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Problem Joining These Forums

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to Plusnet: I signed up on 21st May, and my mobile moved over on 24th, with broadband transferring over yesterday, 6th June.

I was keen to join these forums and participate, but kept hitting a brick wall in that I never received the registration email to confirm my email address. I tried two different email addresses, (both Google mail), and different user names when registering.

I tried calling Customer Service, but they didn't know how to help me.

I think that the problem was caused by this issue:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Forum-email-verification-broken/td-p/1873814

I have now managed to register for this forum using my old BT Internet email address and Plusnet mobile account ID, but when I tried to go in to my Settings page and change the email address to my main GMail it says that it is already in use by another user - yes, me!

How can I get all references in my profiles on this forum to my two GMail addresses removed, so that when the problem linked above is resolved I can start using my GMail address on here? My BT email address will soon be downgraded and not as easy to access.

Are there Moderators that can help perhaps?

TIA

18 REPLIES 18
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Problem Joining These Forums

Fix
If you PM me your accounts that want verifying I can do that manually for you now.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@dvorak 

Thank you.

How do I send you a PM?

I tried clicking on your name on the left and scrolled down to "Private Messages", but it then says "Access Denied. You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Mr_Paul 

Having made two posts, you should now be able to PM.

Issues have been raised in respect of Gmail throwing away emails from the Plusnet Forum service.  I believe that this is being examined.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

You might need to reply to this post again and then you should be able to.
Customer / Moderator
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

Replying to this thread once more to see if I can then send a PM. I couldn't after twp posts.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

Thanks,

I'm now able to compose a PM - I don't know if that is due to me logging out of the Forum and back in again, or something that @Townman did?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Mr_Paul 

I did nothing - new users need to "rank-up" a little before being able to send PMs.

Your report over the Gmail ditching of email messages from this forum is what gives me concern - which I have escalated.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

Ah, OK.

I have been able to send @dvorak a PM, so hopefully they will be able to resolve this for me.

I thought that the GMail issue was a known problem? I usually use Thunderbird email client, (having read the previous thread), but also checked my GMail via a web browser. The registration messages from these forums are not going in to my spam box either.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Gmail appears to have changed something (again !) and there are reports of (some ?) emails from the forum service not being delivered to @gmail.com users.

In the past we have seen Gmail drop emails sent from the core Plusnet email service to free Gmail accounts, whilst simultaneously accepting emails sent to paid for Gmail accounts or sent to the @googlemail.com alias for free Gmail accounts.

They seem to be a bit of a shambles really!! 🤔

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Townman 

So, are you suggesting that if I substitute @ googlemail for the @ gmail suffix that I was using when registering on the forums it will probably work? I won't try it now, in case it messes up anything that @dvorak is doing for me in the background.

I did try sending a test email message to the Community's address mentioned in the linked thread, in the hope that it might validate it, and also added it to my Google Contacts. Unfortunately that didn't resolve anything.

mumcleod

Had the same problems right now - had to use my old BT email address. The confirmation emails didn’t get through gmail or iCloud.

dvorak

@Townman wrote:

Gmail appears to have changed something (again !) and there are reports of (some ?) emails from the forum service not being delivered to @gmail.com users.

In the past we have seen Gmail drop emails sent from the core Plusnet email service to free Gmail accounts, whilst simultaneously accepting emails sent to paid for Gmail accounts or sent to the @googlemail.com alias for free Gmail accounts.

They seem to be a bit of a shambles really!! 🤔

To add some clarity here - this is nothing to do with Gmail, they are doing what they should as are some other email providers.

There's a bad DKIM implementation somewhere caused by PN and we are waiting for them to fix it.

Customer / Moderator
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@dvorak 

I do not think we are saying anything different - this all used to work - Gmail changed something and now it does not work - the situation is a shambles.

I have not sought to suggest who is right or wrong here, but simply articulate a view of the facts.  We have seen similar before from Gmail - whatever they may or may not have done, they (in the past) did not do it consistently, giving rise to mass confusion over what was not working.  If Google were as perfect as some might believe them to be, then one would expect consistent failure across all of their email environments.

As you state, PN are investigating the matter.