Fixes: 1

Re: Priority - Forum bugs have appeared

@Oldjim!

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Fullscreen capture 16042016 110638.jpg

When replying to a thread I get the above pop-up warning every time I go from 'Rich text' mode to 'Preview' mode (and vice versa.) 

Clicking 'stay on this page' removes the dialogue window and allows me to continue, but it's getting rather annoying. IE11/Win 7 64.

Similar thing happens with Chrome, except the text reads 'are you sure you want to navigate away from your reply?' followed by 'are you sure you want to leave this page?' with the options to stay or leave as with IE11.

Any ideas, or is my technique at fault somehow?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Nothing to do with you, the component is broken, we had no end of problems with the RT module during testing.  At the end it was working fine, so it must have cracked in migration to live.

@jaread83 - diagnostic observation.  Posting this on iPad and went to look at the HTML - the page refreshed and the content was lost.  I know elsewhere you advised that safari does not support onbeforeunload so the warning is not seen and the page just unloads.  It looks as though the switch tab logic (select HTML or preview) is now calling out of the current page.  HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As the thread gets longer and longer, I see the need to repeat the information provided earlier so that newer visitors don't miss the work-arounds and warnings.

@Anotherone wrote:

NorthEasterner and everyone else, if you haven't already read it, please see Message 40 & Message 62   Additionally, Message 47 & Message 56 may be helpful to some users.

Also, these bugs were not present during testing.

These particular bugs appeared Friday morning and weren't present at launch.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just encountered a possible new bug (certainly not seen it mentioned before), on my phone I replied to a post then used the 'back' button (goes back to the page composition page so it's necessary to use the 'back' button again), I got the usual 'stay on this page/ leave this page dialogue but selecting ' leave this page' just resulted in the same page and dialogue reappearing repeatedly.  Had to close and reopen the browser in the end then type in a different URL when it reopened on the same page.  Apologies if this has been reported before.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@w23, this sounds like part of my customisation for providing a feedback dialog on the reply page when attempting to navigate away from the page so this will happen as the page still needs to know if you want to navigate away or not. If the feedback message becomes too much of a nuisance I might have to disable it entirely and have it fall back to the default behaviour. Quick question: when you navigated back in your browser to the reply page, was there any content in the input?

It might be possible that this is related to the intermittent javascript errors and I wrote a reply on another thread here about it so once that is fixed this might not be an issue anymore.

I will be checking on whats going on with that intermittent javascript errors and will report back when I got more information about it.

Edit: I just pressed back on my browser twice after this reply and the dialog didn't show and no content was in the box so that works for me. The Javascript hasn't broken for me so this indicates that the javascript issue is causing this. Please let me know if you still get the errors though so I can log everything for testing.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Anotherone
Champion

Still getting them @jaread83 Sad

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

okay, I am going to need to lean a bit harder to get this fixed as this bug is the root of a lot of issues that have been reported on the live environment.

@LouisaMartin, can you chase up the intermittent javascript issues with Lithium please? It is confirmed that the issue is not on staging and only live as our users testing it have let me know that they are getting the issue here and not on staging. Would be really good to get this sorted as a matter of urgency.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

mtrinder
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi everyone,

Good news, we believe we've now identified the culprit and published a fix for the link/dropdown related issues.

Please let us know if you experience any more problems with the:

• Fly out user/notifications menu
  • Post options
  • Board options

It's possible that this change will have cleaned up other issues as well, so, just keep us posted!

Thanks

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Appears to have fixed the pop up window problem when replying to posts I described in post #122. Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

mtrinder wrote:

Good news, we believe we've now identified the culprit and published a fix for the link/dropdown related issues.

Of equal importance to identifying the cause and delivering a fix, have you identified how an issue not experienced during testing on the pre-live service 'escaped' into the live environment?  I personally suspect a release control issue here.... Shocked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

@JayG it is/was the javascript issue causing that. It was one of the bugs that reliably repeated unlike the others being intermittent so if it's gone away that's a good sign. Not one of the other RT bugs that exist.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Midnight_Caller wrote:

@@Oldjim My screen reader worked fine on the old Forum what was running simple machines software, and to answer your question no I haven't got a new screen reader!

Hi @Midnight_Caller,

The screen reader software you described in your post is quite outdated - at least 10 years old? Have you tried other screen readers? I personally don't use screen reader software but tried a few out on the beta site and could get it to work quite well. We spoke with senior engineers at Lithium about screen readers before during the beta stage and this is what they said:

we had several customers who ran accessibiliy tests on our platform and no serious issues have been found.

We are compllant with WCAG and Section 508 and if I remember well in one of the last project I've worked for the customer has tested their community on screen readers and no issues were found.

Please let me know if you see it differently and I'll raise any issue with product.

According to this statement, the community is compliant with WCAG standards and also with section 508 of the web accessibility standards.

If updating your screen reader is not an option, I will be happy to raise this with the Lithium products team and see if there is anything we can do to help you out with this going forward.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

@Townman wrote:

mtrinder wrote:

Of equal importance to identifying the cause and delivering a fix, have you identified how an issue not experienced during testing on the pre-live service 'escaped' into the live environment?  I personally suspect a release control issue here.... Shocked

It's not a release control issue. It was more of a GA issue with click tracking. What Google Analytics does is inject a script into the page that has been set in the GA control panel. That would have been community.plus.net. Now, this script would not have been part of staging becuase it was not set to track events on staging so we had no idea that it would affect the community in this way. I guess everyone just assumes that Google knows what they are doing and in some cases their software interferes too much so that particular bit of the GA suite has been disabled.

Anotherone
Champion

@jaread83 @mtrinder Thumbs_Up so far, still testing Wink