Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post or not to post ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Post or not to post ?

It is with some trepidation , i decided to post here after 10 years here of enjoyment the forum has lost its enjoyment Sad

And Yes it is because it was made Open !  and yes its easy to circumvent any ban i did it .

There are some very good people here Thumbs_Up but they are being Censored and have to bite their lips before posting  because there is also a elephant in the room ,its now place where you cannot post what your convictions tell you .

Any ban here is for any customer should be illegal as it denies the customers right to access to a avenue for support !

I may or may  not decide to post again But i felt i had to say what i believe

Cya around

Ron

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
13 REPLIES 13
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Post or not to post ?

@rongtw

I can see your thinking on that one, I guess the reply would be that PN are a commercial organization and cannot be seen to hosting a forum with anything too controversial, for example there are a number of today's newspapers reporting on the Labour party's reaction to Corbyn lack of action to members of his party who are anti Jewish but chit chat is likely to keep away from such topics.

So in short chat is likely to stay away from politics, religion along with anything controversal that might cause offence to others,

in short much of what you will now see in chit chat is basic topics that appear in the press and on tv.

I suspect the majority of users will find the other parts of the forum of more value.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Ron,

Your sentiments strike deep at the heart of key matters...

1. What is the prime purpose of this forum space - service support or social media ?
  2. Who should have access - customers / past customers / anyone ?
  3. What should people be allowed to say here

The last point is an issue everywhere these days and I fear at the heart of recent issues in Chit Chat.  Free speech which we all so value, is now limited to what the PC elite say you are allowed to think and say ... which I suggest is an issue well outside of the scope and purpose of this forum service, which is why I hold reservations about the appropriateness of there being a social board herein.  There are a multitude of other platforms for such purposes.  That said with a modicum of mutual respect and steering clear of the elephants ... chat could survive its recent turmoil.

I hope you will (at least) continue with the contribution to the technical parts of the forum so that others might continue to benefit from the knowledge and skill you contribute.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman wrote:

Free speech which we all so value, is now limited to what the PC elite say you are allowed to think and say ...

What absolute nonsense. The term ‘political correctness’ is espoused by right wing extremists who wish to rant about  “political correctness gone mad"; a right-wing mantra that means "I can't believe I'm not allowed to make disparaging and offensive remarks about people who are not like me. It's political correctness gone mad I tell ya!”

The forum rules are quite clear that offensive or abusive posts are not acceptable. If one is banned for breaking those rules, one only has oneself to blame.

If the term ‘political correctness’ means anything, it means ‘being polite’ to others. And what is wrong with that?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thank you, I think you make my point well.  Being non-PC is nothing to do with being rude as you imply, but it is very much about challenging not being allowed to think differently on matters which some have decided that there can be no view alternative to theirs.  It is very much along the lines of ...

When someone calls you a right wing extremist, what they are saying is: hmm, you actually have a point, and I don’t know how to answer it, so perhaps if I distract you by calling you a bigot we’ll both forget how enlightened your comment was.

Political correctness might have started out with good intents, but as per something told to me way back in the 1970's by a blind man "I'm not 'visually impaired' I'm bloody blind and that so called political correctness (cooked up by a sighted person) does nothing to help me see any better, rather it simply offends my sensibilities".

Political Correctness is being used to avoid open discussions over difficult matters, seeks to blind people from seeing and continues to offend many people's sensibilities.  Political Correctness is actually dumfounding common sense and leads to quite bizarre outcomes were the rights of wrong doers out weigh the rights of good people ... you do not need to look far to see so many examples of that recently in the news.

The PC elite NEVER discuss the matter at hand, instead the focus on the way a matter is discussed, the words used and then seek to marginalise people by using the kind of labels you chose in your response.  You've kindly illuminated the point well - nothing further needs to be said.

As @rongtw suggests, there are some around here who make it very difficult to talk politely about the elephant in the room, which some people would much rather pretend were not here.  To that end I can understand his disinclination to remain here ... well at least in the chatterbox.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman

Although you didn’t give a source, that bit you quoted there was from Morrissey, I believe?

There was an interesting item about him in the press yesterday:

Ex-Smiths frontman [...] throws his support behind far-right For Britain party

Now, what was I saying about right-wing extremists?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It was not a precise quote, thus I did not credit it - it is though a very valid sentiment, which again you illustrate well, for rather than responding to the challenge you seek to only discredit the orator and not engage in the debate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman

You can keep up your “it’s political correctness gone mad, innit?” justification for ill manners as long as you like, but the truth is no-one has been banned from these forums for not being politically correct enough.

Those who have been banned have been banned for breaking the forum rules, which they agreed to abide by when joining the forum. Do I feel sorry for them? No.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman wrote:

you seek to only discredit the orator

It would seem I am not the only one...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43808611

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Well i am sad to say that i may have to change my decision , to hang around here, a month ago i started this thread and not a lot has changed The elephant in the room still here , and everyone is looking over his shoulder to see if any post gets attacked Sad

It has even come to a state where people are scared to say anything and in fact some are leaving Embarrassed

this is no longer the happy place for a bit of banter and a good laugh , it used to be Lips_are_sealed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Post or not to post ?u

I think we all know who the [-Censored-] is.

The forum is certainly not as friendly due to one member.

Mods?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

DaveyH
Champion

Its not one member!

There's at least two others who think they have carte blanche to behave like obnoxious bellends and the deserve everything they get...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I missed all the original drama and don't really know who and/or what you're talking about.

If, based on past experience, I think that entering into some sort of dialogue or discussion with a particular person is going to be at best a futile waste of time, what I tend to do is not bother.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

There was (probably still is) a similar scenario in my days as an active radio amateur.

On repeaters, where the conversation can be heard for miles around, trolls and various eejits would try to disrupt the normal civilised proceedings, mostly successfully - because there were always some people who would respond.

If totally ignored the disruptors would go and play somewhere else.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)