cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet FAQ and How To Forum.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Plusnet FAQ and How To Forum.

Can I suggest that Plusnet and the Super Users consider creating a maintained Forum of FAQ’s and How To's, called “FAQ and How To” where articles can be added and maintained as time passes using the distilled knowledge of the forum posts.

For example "How To"

Set Static IPs

DNS Servers

Wireless Channel Separation

You get the idea.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Plusnet FAQ and How To Forum.

@Anonymous A great idea, but from my experience the people who would benefit most from that ('new' users), seem reluctant to use the excellent Speed Faults guide - the number of times they are requested to use it by those trying to help and totally ignore it - makes me wonder if it would be worth anyone's time?

Not saying it isn't a great idea, 'cos I need reminding sometimes Smiley - but would it reach the target audience?

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true @jab1, I agree, there’s nowt as fickle as a user. But even if they do choose to post life for those replying could be so much easier by providing appropriate link(s) to a possible solutions. To be honest, if managed and maintained correctly, I do think it has legs, but whether it will ever walk, never mind run is another question.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

I know from experience it would be a complete waste of time, the majority don't bother to read forum rules, sticky threads, help/howtos or FAQs

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I've said above @DaveyH that's as maybe, but it doesn't stop it from being used as a source to link to when a reply is provided. It saves the user repeating content and can reduce the amount of fluff in the replies and boards. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Perfectly correct @Anonymous , and I think it should be tried. There was a spell, pre-Christmas, when I tried to help and only had the 'Speed Faults' sticky to link to. Unfortunately, that didn't always answer the question, and trying to explain what to do was at times not easy - I have a tendency to forget that some people 'just expect it to work' and explaining technology sometimes needs a bit of human help in simple terms (for me) ain't that simple for them.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Folks,

Like many good ideas, it is a matter of who has the knowledge and bandwidth to do it.  Having done it, it needs to be maintained. @Pettitto created some excellent guides from his time way back when in the old Coms Team, however these have not been maintained.  I have 'boiler-plate' help macros ... even they need a bit of a refresh.  Some discussion on such matters has been had within the SU programme ... @Gandalf started on some order issues stuff ... but I guess fire fighting takes priority? Cool_smiley

One key issue though is that many people in difficulty simply expect someone else to do all the checking for them ... possibly not understanding that the ability of remote diagnostics is limited ... who will though complain like hell if a BTOR engineer attends and find an issue within their domain, thereby being subject to a BTOR engineer charge.

I think a dialogue on what is already in place and how it is seen to be deficient would be helpful - if nothing else it would provide a guide to where change / enhancements are required.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sounds like a good idea to me.

@Gandalf started on some order issues stuff

Apologies for not following up there. I'll revisit it shortly but it might be a couple of months before we can look to get it published, as I've got a fair bit of annual leave in February.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet