Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Forum Layout

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

New Forum Layout

After much discussion with compromise from both sides we have agreed on two basic layouts where the only difference is the location of the Chit Chat Section.
As you will see we have abolished sub forums and tried to keep things as tidy as possible.
This is a combined picture of the two basic options and I hope it is reasonably clear.
I have set a 28 day time limit on the vote but if the result becomes obvious earlier we may cut it short and get on with the changes.
In response to a couple of questions.
Archive Forums are at the bottom - unfortunately they were left off the mockup - picture of Archive Area added
There is no restriction on posting alternative suggestions or changes - the "None of the above" option covers that for a vote
120 REPLIES 120
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: New Forum Layout

No archived forums?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As jelv sed where are the archive forums?
Be3G
Grafter

Jim: can you clarify, is this thread supposed to be inviting comments about all aspects of the redesign or is it a poll specifically for deciding what to do about Chit-Chat?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Initial post modified to respond to the above questions
and I hate all the pink bars dividing the sections - but nobody agreed with me  Roll_eyes
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Oldjim, I hate pink nevamind all the pink bars dividing the sections.
Mand
Grafter

It is the brand colour though guys Wink so somewhat unavoidable I'm afraid.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Mand, I would pay good money to loos the new brand colour.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

It's only one of the accepted brand colours though Mand?  The darker grey would be a more preferable colour?
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

We can try darker grey if that's what the consensus is (it takes someone with more skills than I though, so I can't give you a mock up like that right now).
Lurker
Grafter

I don't understand the question really - I mean, why would anybody even consider putting the most popular board at the bottom of a list?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Perhaps in your previous role as a mod you can help on that as guess where it is at the moment  Roll_eyes
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
I don't understand the question really - I mean, why would anybody even consider putting the most popular board at the bottom of a list?

That's the main reason we looked at changing it, but it's over to you lot to decide. Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

However given the tone of Chit Chat as is being complained about here the more out of sight the better  Lips_are_sealed
Lurker
Grafter

I can guess.
PN don't want it at the top, as they believe it detracts from the useful and serious nature of the boards.
Whereas the Mods perhaps think that since it is so popular, it might as well be at the top - especially since its about as inclusive as you can get, and as "Community minded" as any board can really be.
TBH, I don't really have an opinion, since I tend to reply to topics rather than post them, and of course the OT ones are easiest to post to, since they are pretty irreverent and chatty at the best of times. (As intended obviously ;))
Trying to see if from the POV of somebody who isn't as familiar with the layout, and characters involved here, I think the GCC is the most likely place that peeps are going to find welcoming help, rather than what can seem like overbearing moderation if they happen to post in the wrong board.
I appreciate as an ex mod that moderation is more about consistency and fairness (and helpfulness), but we can also all see how having your first post to a board moderated in a way that seems negative can be offputting. (Nobody likes the feeling that when they have asked for help, they have been *corrected* on something or *pulled up* on their nettiquette)
If folks were more likely to post something serious in the GCC board, at least then the moderation exercise is about *promoting* the importance of their issue, rather than being a *corrective* seeming action.
The other inhabitants of the GCC board are more likely to offer helpful tips on forum use and netiquette, and can also outstretch a welcoming and OT response, which is harder in the other boards.
/rambling now I accept - its been a long few days...
To finish off - anything is better than nothing - a wrong choice is better than no choice.
I'd be happy to support the mods in whatever layout they go for.
If its only the placement of one board that is proving troublesome, just do one or the other, whichever *feels* right - if its wrong, we'll all support you in making the change to correct it - that one thing would only take a few seconds to reposition.
/Here endeth my Two Shillings (for now obviously...) Grin