Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mentions in quotes

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Mentions in quotes

Is it possible for mentions inside quotes not to result in a mention email?

I've just received an email for a post where I quoted a post by someone else which mentioned me. This is the beginning of the email:

Hi jelv,

jelv (Community Veteran) mentioned you in a post! Take a look at what they said and join in the conversation here:

Re: broadband usage gone sky high

@JonoH wrote:
@jelv wrote:

In the past Plusnet have refunded excess usage charges where this has happened and the user has complained.

Somewhat confused me at first as I wondered why I was mentioning myself. It does not appear in the notification feed so why the email?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
12 REPLIES 12
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Mentions in quotes

@jaread83 Is this something we can do?

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Moderators: this is a deliberate full quote to generate the circumstances I've raised.

@JonoH wrote:

@jaread83 Is this something we can do?

jaread83: If you get emails for mentions you will find this post generates one but I think you will find it is not in your notification feed.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

This isn't something I have any control over unfortunately. I need to get in contact with Lithium to look into this as the inclusion of mentions as the '<user> wrote:' is new functionality. Apologies if this causes an annoyance, I will raise a support ticket with Lithium to look into.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you confirm you saw the same as me - you had an email but it didn't appear in the notification feed?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I got an email that you mentioned me in a post and also a notification feed item - but to be honest you did @ mention me in the main body of the quote so that is expected behaviour that we may not be able to stop. If the notification item was missing it may be something to do with the new way that quotes work by adding in the username '<user> wrote:'. I am not entirely sure how that is set up in the code. I have sent Lithium a support request about it and linked to this thread.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I just received a notification for for this post - I don't have emails setup - https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/New-Service-Status-System/m-p/1516440#M80652

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don't think you can switch off notifications for @ mentions. I see you got your email notification set to ignore mentions though. Did you also receive an email?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

if that was me - no I didn't

But why should an @ mention in a quote count as it isn't really a mention

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There is a lot of work happening to get ready for the GDPR changes happening in May. Lithium has already started implementing changes to the platform and one of those changes is to be able to automate the method of removing a user and any of their personal info. One of the things to remove is the username if a user requests it.

Now, in the old system a quote would have your username in plain text 'Oldjim wrote:' so if you were to ask me to delete your account - any quoted text (in the old system) would still say 'Oldjim wrote:'. This is a problem as it means that we need to find all quoted text with your username and remove it manually.

The new system is using the @ mention system as a way to automatically do this from now on. So if I was to delete your account, any quoted text would read as 'Anonymous wrote:' as the @ mention system does not recognise the userID in the lookup so then it becomes an anonymous user which should keep the GDPR people happy that we can delete all user data.

I personally think that Lithium need to seperate the @ mention system into two and have the normal one function as it was and then another one that simply looks up a username without linking it or notifying a user that they were mentioned.

But as I said.. I don't know how their code is set up and the above is simply my best guess as to why this system is being used (for GDPR).

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Not sure if you have the two types of mention right. Surely it should be:

1.  A mention that is linked and generates email and notification feeds.
  2. A mention that is linked only and generates no email or notification

Both types have to be linked to meet GDPR.

When you quote a post it should convert all type 1 mentions in the quoted post to type 2, then add a header to the quoted post with a type 1 mention.

If someone types a mention that will be a type 1, unless it it is inside a quote when it should be type 2.

If someone selects a block of text and then clicks the blockquote button, any mentions within the selected text should be converted to type 2.

To do this just requires an extra parameter in <li-user login="jaread83" uid="4"> e.g. <li-user login="jaread83" uid="4" nonotify="Y"> for the type 2 mentions.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have had a response from Lithium. The username in quoted text (as the author of the quote) should not receive an email notification as a mention. This has been identified as a software bug and is being investigated deeper to find the root cause. I haven't been given an ETA on when it will be fixed but I will let you know when they have provided any details of when a fix will be applied.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have been informed by Lithium that a fix has been rolled out for this issue. I will keep my eye on this but let me know if this is still affecting you.