Memebr sign up dates have vanished

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Memebr sign up dates have vanished

@jaread83,

Just noticed that the "Date Joined" details have vanished from the member panel on posts.

Is this intentional or just a new software issue not spotted in testing?

This information can be helpful when considering how to respond - "Has this person only just 'arrived' or have they been around here a while?".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

19 REPLIES 19
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Memebr sign up dates have vanished

The date registered is only viewable by mods and admins.

It got removed in the latest software update and I had to reinstate it manually using the API. It is currently wrapped in a statement that only lets moderators and admins view it as this also uncludes the IP address in the call to the users data.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jack,

I conclude that this is changed functionality in this release then?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Previously, there was a component that displays a users IP (to mods and admin) as well as the date registered. This was all part of the same component. This was deprecated and I had to recreate it. The IP address obviously cannot be seen by the public but I can take a look into taking the date and have it viewable by everyone. The only thing that could get in the way is if the permissions for that data has changed to only be viewable by admins and mods. If this is the case then there isn't much I can do with the data.

I have had all of this available to view on the staging site for over a month - I am quite surprised this wasn't flagged up with me sooner to be honest.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@jaread83, that's possibly because you only think about looking at the date registered when responding to a user who you don't recognise. On staging it's probably not crossed anyones mind.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jack,

All I can say that as a part timer around here, I'm sorry I missed it on staging. Certainly the last 2 weeks I had some difficulty being around here as much as usual as I was running a beer festival. Will try to do better next time around.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have added this to my list of things to look into.
I will let you know when I have got it up on staging. The only difference you may notice is that the time will not be displayed as a relative time (1 day ago, 4 hours ago, 3 weeks ago, etc etc).

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Registered dates are now visible to anyone that is logged in. Please take a look on Staging and let me know what you think.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Looking at the O2 & BT forums it is still present there, are they behind Plusnet in Lithium forum version?
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

O2, BT and Plusnet communities are all on the same version. The registered date would have had to be added as a custom component if it was required on their forums.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

It's also present in the Now TV community, seems pretty common for a custom component.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That is because the developers of those sites would have had to recreate those components themselves. I picked up on the absence of this data when we got the upgrade and was told that the component for registered date and user IP address were deprecated. So this was something I had to add back in myself.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Looks fine on staging @jaread83

Browni
Aspiring Hero

@jaread83 wrote:
That is because the developers of those sites would have had to recreate those components themselves. I picked up on the absence of this data when we got the upgrade and was told that the component for registered date and user IP address were deprecated. So this was something I had to add back in myself.

I'm not swallowing that.

Removing IP address visibility would make a forum unmanageable.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I am just telling you what I was told when I asked why the components for the IP address and registered dates were not displaying anything. The components were deprecated but the API is available if I wanted to recreate those components myself if needed.