cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIXED
John_Leeming
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

So far I've had to change my password on every occasion that I try to use the COMMUNITY forum. becoming fed up with the direction PLUSNET is heading.

20 REPLIES 20
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Log in Problems

Hi, sorry to hear you're having issues with your password. I see you are a migrated user from the old community site - all migrated users need to reset their password before using this site.

Is your password needing to be reset everytime you come back? Do you have Javascript blocking software on your browser or any other browser extensions that block scripting? The community requires you to allow javascript in order for it to work. There were a couple of cases when we launched the new site where some users had issues resetting their password due to blocking javascript.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

John_Leeming
Dabbler

Same problem, I've checked my browser and Javascript is enabled. At a guess I'd say that the system is not storing my password?? If I use the password reset and enter the password which I used before then it accepts it and I'm logged in.Signing out puts me through the loop again. Will re-registering help?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You shouldn't need to reset your password everytime, that is very odd and not an issue that has been flagged up before.

I would suggest trying to create a new user, verify your email address, comment on this thread again, use that user for a little bit and see if it asks you to keep resetting your password everytime.

You can't use the same email BUT if you are a gmail user you can add an extra bit of text to your address to tell the system that you are using a unique email.

For example an email like myemail@gmail.com could also be written as myemail+plusnet@gmail.com and you will receive the email in the same inbox.

If creating a new user works and doesn't have the same issue, what we can do is look at deleting your old user and migrating your username to the new account instead.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Alternatively, I can provide you with a new password and see if that helps?

John_Leeming
Dabbler

Let me go through this problem. I attempt to sign in with my password and the sign in is rejected, I then use the change password facility and re-enter into the "New Password" box my original password (the one rejected) and confirm it and low and behold I'm signed in. When I log out I'm in the same loop again hence I believe that my password is not being "stored" by your system?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Have you tried using a new password as I believe @jaread83 was suggesting above?

John_Leeming
Dabbler

I have tried 3-4 passwords, all to no avail. Is there any way that my current Community register information can be cleared and I can then re-register. I have no problems with my normal plusnet site sign on.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Your plusnet account and community account are seperate. Did you try registering a new account here? Did it have the same issue?

I can provide you with a new password as I can change that to something different for you, that might be worth a try before deleting your account and creating a new one with the same name.

John_Leeming
Dabbler

Yes I know that the two sign on are different, I was pointing out that at least part of your ssytem works. Why should a password provided by you work and yet my attempts fail and I have to re-set each time?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies that this is happening, I understand how this can be very frustrating.

The community site is a completely different system to the other plusnet websites and do not interact with each other. The community is built and hosted by a third party (Lithium) and we have little control over how the system stores usernames and passwords.

But enough about that - let's see what we can do to resolve this. There are a few options we can explore and you are free to try any that you feel comfortable with doing:

1. As an admin, I can create a new password for you or you can provide me a new password via private message if you prefer to do that. Just let me know by sending a message my way with what you'd like it changed to (link to send me a PM). I will send you a message right before changing it to confirm that it is done.
  2. If having me create a new password isn't something you are comfortable with, I would suggest trying to create a new user.. just so you can rule out any issues with your migrated user.
  3. The system might be rejecting your password change for some reason or it will not let you use the same password as before (I am unsure if that would be the case but it's not unheard of for some sites to do this). You can try a completely different password instead of using the same one from before.
  4. You might have an extension blocking certain javascript or cookies, you might want to try using a different browser temporarily while resetting your password or try running your browser in safe mode (all extensions and addons are disabled).

Hopefully one of these options will work! If we are unable to progress and it is still asking you to reset your password, I will need to have Lithium investigate what's going on.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @John_Leeming, I have set the password to the one you sent me over private message.

I hope that this has resolved the issue!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Remind me @jaread83, but when resetting ones password, don't you have to confirm by email link IIRC - not testing it atm, too busy.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

yes, you need to click the link that is sent to your email. You can't reset a password without that link.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well I see no mention of email links being clicked in @John_Leeming's posts and I'm wondering if his problem has something related to that?