Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to disable mobile mode?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Is it possible to disable mobile mode?

As subject really. I tried looking in the settings but couldn't find anything useful.

I hate those sites which think they know better than you and default to a mobile mode when actually you want the full mode, you know how to use it, and the Lithium software taking the decision rather than me and being treated like a Sun reader.

Bring back SMF, all is forgiven. 😬
6 REPLIES 6
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Is it possible to disable mobile mode?

Often, if you are using a mobile or tablet, on the page you are viewing there is a browser menu that can offer something like View PC version or Request PC version.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

If you use Chrome, Firefox or Opera on mobile (possibly others too) there's an option to 'Request Desktop Site'...
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks, I'll check out how to do it on my iPhone.
Alex
Community Veteran

Well I tried the "Request Desktop Site" option but can't see any difference.

Thanks for the help, no rush. I will look into it. 😊

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The 'request desktop version' functionality is a bit hit and miss on many websites these days. That would work if a dedicated mobile version (separate from the desktop version) is served up to the user.

The community website is responsive and doesn't serve up a dedicated mobile version. It all depends on your screen size and it adapts to that. You will see this in action by resizing your browser on a desktop. I totally get that some feel more comfortable seeing the full screen desktop version - I am sometimes pleasantly surprised when I find a website that is still serving up the full desktop website... although I find myself having to zoom in and out to read things or click tiny buttons.

I do not know of any solid methods of serving up the full desktop version of a responsive website without somehow forcing your mobile screen resolution to much larger sizes or having some code to remove the viewport meta altogether with a switch. The latter can be a bit tricky especially as I don't have full control of the code in that particular area.

However, if you have any feedback on the small screen views, I'd love to hear them! I am always trying to improve things for the better, no matter what device you are using.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks,

As you can probably tell by now Smiley, I prefer to see full screen views on my phone, not the smaller ones. I don't mind scrolling around.

I do think it should be an account option though. I'd imagine many more people would prefer it the other way, so it should default to smaller, but it should be a changeable option if like me you don't.