Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Thanks @SpendLessTime, I have updated the support ticket. It happened to me earlier as well while I was having a bit of a play about to replicate. Turns out that I got one unread item in a board too and I can't find that either.

Hopefully Lithium can identify the underlying issue here.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I'll leave it there in case Lithium support want to look at my account.

It has cleared itself down. Sad

I'll just have to remember not to go looking for a single unread post on that board. 

And at 7:50pm, the unread 1 message is back.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Update:

At some point in the afternoon the count cleared?  Now showing zero unread items.

Did Lithium identify and fix the problem or just 'fudge' it?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I haven't received an update on this case yet. I have gathered the evidence and got screenshots of everything so hopefully this is a bug that has been identified and can be fixed in the core with the software developers at lithium HQ.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Thanks Jack.  Despite my optimistic post night - the count is back to 4 again this morning.  Undecided

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

It's spreading!  I now have both Community Feedback & Plusnet feedback with a stuck count of 4 unread items.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm afraid I still have not received any further updates on this yet. I have referenced this thread as well as the screenshots in my communications though.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

And even later both forum counts returned to zero?  Didn't logout; didn't do a 'mark all read' just away doing a few other tasks? 

I think my pc is bewitched.  Funny

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Sometimes I have unread messages (which aren't there) but next time I log in they go away. Just to reappear after the 3rd login.

@jaread83 are these forums run across some type of round robin,  load balancing database connection to multiple backends? That could explain the now you see me and now you don't at the forum board level. Won't necessarily explain the unread message count not being in sync.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can't confirm what the infrastructure is like on Lithiums end but with the amount of clients they have running they'd be fools not to load balance... so it's a possibility that this may be the case and there is some kind sync issue where you are viewing an ever so slightly outdated database and then it all syncs again. But this is speculation and I wish I knew the answer to that one.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83 When is this ongoing and irksome forum bug going to be fixed?  Happening again today with the Plusnet feedback board - at forum level reporting 4 unread, but no posts showing as unread within the board.

First reported back in April 2016!

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I will not be able to check on any updates until I am back in the office on Monday. Apologies that this is taking an age to be resolved. I will be hounding Lithium as soon as I get back if there is no further information sent to my email.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I got a reply about this but I was not satisfied with the response so I have sent them a reply telling them to look into this closer or put it through to the higher tier engineers.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83  I have just observed another incidence of this bug.  On the 'email' board displaying an 'unread' count of 5 when I have read all current posts.  Nothing extant in either 'unread posts' or 'unread topics'.

This is a board I regularly read and can confirm that yesterday evening it reported zero unread items.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Cleared itself overnight 26/3/2017

M