cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

This morning I was looking at the 'Forum View' that shows the forum categories, posts and new posts counts. At the time I saw that there was 1 new post each in Broadband, Fibre Broadband and Phone but when I went to view all of the unread posts there were only two entries!

I returned to the page and in that time it had changed to include 1 new message in Feedback and General Chat, but this time when I viewed all unread messages the 5 messages appeared.

239 REPLIES 239
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Hi Mook,

But did you go look at the boards to see the unread topics / posts?

Can you be clear it you were looking at unread Topics vs. Posts?

During testing we encountered several issues in this area, first confusion between unread topic counts and unread posts counts, particularly where there are multiple unread posts on one topic.

Further the unread topic / post list only shows those items you have permission to read.  The forum summary count might (did at some point on the test platform) include unread posts you are not permitted to read, for example those under moderator review.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Townman @Anonymous

Odd that this should come up today, when I was about to report a similar observation.  Serendipity?

In my case I now choose not to use Unread Posts and rely on Unread Topics.

I also note discrepancies in the Notification count in the top RHS bubble which make it cumbersome when attempting to follow a few Topics / Threads.

I've held off reporting for a while as it could have been me just getting used to HOW this (currently) 'clunky' Forum is intended to work.  Hard to be precise on evidence when the activity is high, but I will attempt to record a good instance.

@Townman wrote:

Further the unread topic / post list only shows those items you have permission to read.  The forum summary count might (did at some point on the test platform) include unread posts you are not permitted to read, for example those under moderator review.

I was unaware of this, so this is a possible contributor to the problem. 

Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman, @MauriceC - To make things clear, on viewing the Forum View I simply clicked the BIG Forum link next to 'Blog', from the 'New' column I could see that there were 3 new posts in the aforementioned fora. I then clicked my book mark which is this : https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/unreadpostspage/tab/message:full but as I said it only displayed two posts, which confused me, as I can do mental arithmetic. When I returned to this view the now 'missing' post from Phone appeared in the list along with the two additional ones, so I do not think this is permissions related.

Does this answer your questions?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Anonymous  I follow a more pedestrian navigation route, but I believe I'm seeing a similar problem.  Hard to pinpoint it when the board is busy.

M

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MauriceC - I do it that way as there is no other way to view all unread posts from the 'Forum View', well certainly none that I can see.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just had another instance of this, with a single post in the 'Fibre Broadbad' but nothing displayed when using this link.

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/unreadpostspage/tab/message:full

There is definitely an issue here.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Anonymous What's the rough time difference between the real-time that you are looking for these "posts" and the time on the post itself. I have noticed that quite often there is a bit of "lag" before things pop-up in some places.I haven't got round to noting which "events" where, but sometimes it seems as though there is around a minute's lag.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone - See the PM I sent you.

Anotherone
Champion

I'll get my magnifying glass out Wink Will reply in a moment. I suspect that there's probably a bit of mix-up with different things in the various replies here. I will look in detail at your specific example.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone - I still have the originals, if you want I can send without using the PN scaling option.

Anotherone
Champion

See what you make of my reply first Wink

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

FWIW, I see this issue right now in respect of the routers board.

i see one unread post court in the forum boards list, but on navigating to the board I see no unread posts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman, @Anotherone, @MauriceC - Just a thought, but could this have anything to do with the spam trap?

Anotherone
Champion

The thought had crossed my mind, but I'm not sure.