Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image urls no longer valid?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Image urls no longer valid?

Seriously?

I can't even post you a screenshot now to show you because the url of the image won't be flaming valid.

http://s3.postimg.org/anb852j43/screenshot_633.jpg

Exact message: This does not appear to be a valid image URL

YES IT DAMN WELL IS.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Image urls no longer valid?

I'm not sure what your issue is as I've posted it with no problem.

screenshot_633

Click on the Insert Photos button, select URL at the top, paste the URL and click done.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i dont know if i did this correct but i just got this ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
7up
Community Veteran

@jelv wrote:

Click on the Insert Photos button, select URL at the top, paste the URL and click done.

My 'issue' as you put it is that the steps you mention above are exactly what i've been doing every time i post a picture including last night ever since we've inherited this lithium powered abomination.

Believe what you like Jelv, i did nothing wrong. Clearly the error message i've posted shows this too or it would not be talking about a incorrect image URL would it.

@7up wrote:

Exact message: This does not appear to be a valid image URL

You found the image at that url in order to post it jelv.

Honestly I could swear I couldn't make things any clearer sometimes... but no matter how hard you try there will always be one...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): insult removed as per Forum rules

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Let me try using your image that you posted (http://s3.postimg.org/anb852j43/screenshot_633.jpg)

So the image doesn't work... but it looks like I can't even get to the above URL and it just timesout. The media uploader probably couldn't retreive the image so therefore it would be an invalid image URL (due to it not existing). Is this image locked behind a private account? I can't get to it.. can anyone else?

When posting an image via URL the system takes it, uploads it to your media gallery and hosts it here. It can't do that if the image doesn't exist.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@jaread83 I can get to the image using Palemoon but it shows up as https, not http.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Tried changing the protocol and no luck in Firefox, Chrome, Canary (Chrome beta) and Safari.

That image does not load for me at all in any of the browsers, even with https.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 14.19.21.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 14.21.38.png

This is all on the work network and it might be possible that it is blocked? Not sure.

It works on my 4G mobile connection on my phone.

It might be possible that the site is unreachable from the servers where the forums are hosted. I will see if I can raise a support ticket about this to see whats going on.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

I'm not changing the protocol. I click on your http link and Palemoon and edge (just tried that as well) display the image in an https page.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The postimg.org website probably resolved the protocol upon visiting the site. I can't even get to that website from my work network so I think it is blocked for me. Just keeps timing out.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@7up, are you able to visit the url of the image? In the same browser on the same network, are you able to upload it via URL? If the host is blocked on your network for whatever reason, it will not work by uploading via URL.

That's what is happening to me anyway.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@7up,

@Browni noticed the protocol changed to https... when viewing on my phone I noticed the url changed from .org to .io

Try posting your image by URL using http://s3.postimg.io/anb852j43/screenshot_633.jpg

This is down to the host of that site. It looks like the website being used changes its URL structure upon sucessfully loading the image (not sure why - maybe load balancing?). The platform needs to be able to access the direct image URL and cannot change the URL structure to the correct location.. in this case it can't see the image on that URL so it would error. Try using the above and it should work.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

I didn't notice the tld changing to .io but can confirm that happens for me as well.

7up
Community Veteran

Ignore this please!

7up
Community Veteran

@jaread83 wrote:

@7up, are you able to visit the url of the image? In the same browser on the same network, are you able to upload it via URL? If the host is blocked on your network for whatever reason, it will not work by uploading via URL.

That's what is happening to me anyway.

Yes I was (at the time) / am able to visit the url of the image. Yes with the same browser / network and I run the network so have most definitely not blocled postimage.org or .io.

There is nothing wrong with the image, I ended up using the HTML tab of the reply editor to post it in the topic I wanted it in - it showed up fine. The problem is with this pathetic lithium offering that you lot at plusnet seem determined to defend or make excuses for (sorry i'm not trying to cause offence, just stating it how it seems to be).

You did state that it worked on 4G on your mobile so why did that not make you think "Hey this is blocked at work but a user is having a problem with it.. and another one said the same and i can view the image on my phone so i should raise this as an issue" ?

Why is it always me that has to bring order to chaos? lol Plusnet you really need to give me a job...

The media uploader should not be giving out message about urls not being valid just because it can't do whatever lithium have no experience for. The URL IS VALID, whether or not the forum can sideload it is irrespective of the url being valid. Infact I own that image, I never gave plusnet or lithium permission to take it and it wasn't made clear that this is what the lithium product does either. In future I will just manually edit the html.

Fix the media system if you want or don't, i'm really not bothered but i've reported the bug and done my bit.