Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go to latest post in thread

FIXED
Lurch
Rising Star

Go to latest post in thread

Quite simply, how do you do this? There seems to be no button/link/icon to view the unread posts since last visit which makes the forum almost unusable (by sane people).

25 REPLIES 25
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Go to latest post in thread

Fix

In your settings at https://community.plus.net/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences%3Alinear-format tick the "jump to first unread post in a topic" setting and save the changes.

David
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Just beat me to the post  David.   (Pun intended Angel )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lurch
Rising Star

Accepting the above solution brings up a bug, I get a pop-up notification saying that I have accepted my post as a solution. This notification was obviously intended for @spraxyt.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The incorrect notification text is a known bug. The correct fix message is shown on the forum. Smiley

David
Lurch
Rising Star

Every forum I've been on today I have ended up filing bug reports and the like!

Why does everyone try to be so clever and release fancy looking but completely useless forum software. Still, at least you are not using Discourse.

Bring back phpBB!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Indeed it is a known bug, and there's one other to note in relation to all this, once you have read all the posts in a thread, instead of being taken to the Last post of the thread which used to be the case initially, you are now taken to the first post in the thread..

Lurch
Rising Star

So after a couple of clicks I have found some more bugs, not sure whether to start a new topic or not so feel free to move this post to a new topic if required.

When composing a reply hitting tab takes you to the browse button for attaching files first, where the tab order should be to go to post first.

Before I made this post I tried to search for existing topics/posts but the advanced search doesn't give me an option for 'match all words' which made it difficult.

And then finally if I come back to edit the post it seems to load the HTML, I can click in the post and start to edit it but then the page functions finally kick in and reload the page/post box which throws the cursor out to the page so the browser captures the key presses.

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Lurch. As you are posting on the Community Feedback board, this is the correct place for mentioning any bugs, and there nothing to stop you mentioning as many as you want in your thread, but somehow I doubt you'll have discovered any that haven't been already highlighted either during the previous testing or since its gone Live - the question is simply how may have been fixed, unfortunately nowhere near as many as we wanted Sad Most of these are down to the Software provider Lithium. Some more minor issues and usability problems can/have been fixed by "skinning" which Plusnet can apply.
Welcome to the forum by the way. I'll just try and go through what you've mentioned.

When composing a reply hitting tab takes you to the browse button for attaching files first

I'm not sure why you think there is a need to hit your keyboard Tab button. Having clicked the post "Reply" button, the cursor focus should be in the Rich Text box and you should be able to start replying. However that's not always the case, depending on which browser/OS is being used there is often a need to left click the mouse button in the box before you can start typing to get focus, one shouldn't need to click/hit anything. It is a known issue.

but the advanced search doesn't give me an option for 'match all words' which made it difficult.

The clunkiness of the Search is a total pain in the butt and as the search function currently used here also uses "stemming" that makes things really annoying when searching for more precise technical matters. There are some skinning improvements coming which should help to make it a little less clunky to use, but we are still pushing for a number of functional changes. Your comment about matching "all" words is one which has already been mentioned and the idea has supposed to have been forwarded to Lithium. I'll try and ask about the status of that.

Your last point about editing, sounds like the "focus" issue again, unless I've misunderstood what you are meaning.

Lurch
Rising Star

@Anotherone wrote:

I'm not sure why you think there is a need to hit your keyboard Tab button. Having clicked the post "Reply" button, the cursor focus should be in the Rich Text box and you should be able to start replying. However that's not always the case, depending on which browser/OS is being used there is often a need to left click the mouse button in the box before you can start typing to get focus, one shouldn't need to click/hit anything. It is a known issue.

I think you have misunderstood, when I have finished typing my reply I can (or should be able to) hit tab to jump to the 'Post' button but the tab order of the paqge has Post as #2, which is not what I would expect as most forum software would be set to jump to post when navigating using the keyboard.
I am fully aware that I do not 'need' to hit the tab button, but I have been doing it like that for the last 15 years. As I have mentioned, I don't why usability has gone out the window in recent years, there are ways that things have always worked and it is almost like the current generation of developers intentionally try to do everything differently just for the sake of it.

Your last point about editing, sounds like the "focus" issue again, unless I've misunderstood what you are meaning.

Yep, it is focus issues again but it is a page load time issue that means that once the box has focus it loses it when the page finishes loading. I just thought I'd mention it as I was listing all the other things that aren't quite right. More of an annoyance than anything, but again if the page wasn't so complicated then it would load quicker so I refer you to my paragraph above!

Lurch
Rising Star

And then back to the original problem, the links on https://community.plus.net/ seem to be a bit hit & miss as to where in the topic you are sent. Sometimes you are sent to a specific post (#M12345 after the link target) or sometimes to the first post in a thread, but never to /jump-to/first-unread-topic as per if you browse the forums directly.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@Lurch wrote:

And then back to the original problem, the links on https://community.plus.net/ seem to be a bit hit & miss as to where in the topic you are sent.

Another of those items on the list of things to be fixed "Real soon now"  or Mañana.  It's a really annoying bug!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lurch
Rising Star

Is there a decent editor that can be installed? The rich text editor is terrible and the HTML editor is awful. There are a few forums that I have found have terrible editors, but I can easily switch to the text editor (note: not rich text) and use bbcode without issue. It seems Lithium have binned the established standard way of doing things completely just for the sake of it?

Anotherone
Champion

The Editor that Lithium have chosen to implement  is the TinyMCE one. As you've discovered, there are a number of bugs here, some we believe are due to the way it's been implemented. I apologise for forgetting to mention in an earlier reply here (not your fault but I know I mentioned it elsewhere) that an update to the editor & implementation is supposedly due with a forum software update due shortly. However from what I've seen to date, I'm not confident that the main bugs we've complained about have been resolved (or even addressed!).

As far as inconsistent jumping to "posts", as Maurice implied, there is now an annoying bug which I outlined in Message 7.
I assume you've found the 'Jump to first unread post in a topic' setting on this page?

Lurch
Rising Star

@Anotherone wrote:

I assume you've found the 'Jump to first unread post in a topic' setting on this page?

Yep, that works fine if I browse each subforum directly, just not from the community summary pages.

Another bug/lack of feature I've found is that on https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/unreadpostspage/tab/thread you do not have a 'last post posted at ...' column.