Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Chat

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: General Chat

Why was GC removed?  Could it not just have been locked?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

They haven't got a big enough key to lock a whole board - it wasn't in the design plan. 😉

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@198kHz wrote:

@7up wrote:

Moving a topic and displaying a locked icon is a joke...

Absolutely, when, because of the way the word 'Moved' and the lorry icon are small, grey, and on the far left and thus easily overlooked, one is left with the impression of an inordinate number of locked threads.

You know more about forums than me @7up  - would either of these two options be feasible, and would one or other be easier/quicker to implement?

(1) Could a new 'Moved' icon be created and used instead of the 'Locked' icon when a post is moved?

(2) Is there any reason why a wrongly posted topic in GC can't just be moved to the correct board and that's it, job done.

There's surely no utility or value in leaving the topic title still listed on the GC board when it's been moved to its proper place?

Or is it one of those 'but we've always done it that way' scenarios?

1) yes on most forums but on this pile of [-Censored-] probably not

2) no reasson at all but some forums do leave a shadow in place so the original poster can still find it once moved.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Whilst I can understand some of the technical limitations of the forum and the locked symbol does not help anyone, it is the inconsistencies' and laziness' of the mods I cannot fathom. By all means move posts to the correct forum, but splitting posts and keeping the same thread title, not bothering to help simple queries as they move a post, not acknowledging reports to a Mod and even worse inconstancies between boards  is inexcusable!

Why is it OK for the mildest of response to get deleted or banned in General Char, but insults and what some might feel as bullying be totally ignored because the OP did not agree with a warning for caution in a plea for technical advice?

To me a total rethink needs to happen, either PN need to sort this, or BT sort out the whole forum and bring it into line with the other BT forums - rock or a hard place, but Mods and Gaffer, your time I suspect is limited!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is GC Thursday 2340, at least place an explanation
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@dvorak wrote:
Or out of 20+ areas of the pub the vast majority abided by the rules.
In one area where users had already served several time outs and were let back in again continued not to behave responsibly in the end that section of the pub was closed off. Rest of it remained open.

@dvorak 

Presumably you're referring to those of us (myself included) who've previously stood up to earlier trolls (which have actually been the same very small number of people who re-incarnate themselves with a new agenda), and when the blatantly obvious has been pointed out to the mods, we've been disbelieved, and eventually banned as disruptors.

Each time it happens it's clear that you haven't learned anything from the previous occasion, and we have to bang our heads against a wall yet again until you ban some of us and the troll is removed.  Groundhog day with a vengeance.

So we now get labelled as irresponsible in your analogy above, and you've made yourself a convenient trumped up excuse to close General Chat.

The latest version of that particular troll seems to have been wiped from the forum a lot quicker than on previous occasions which have sometimes gone on for many weeks, which indicates that you've someone has actually believed us this time, but in that case perhaps it should be considered that you've been wrong to disbelieve people who've previously been trying to help things run smoothly, and admit that you've grossly over-reacted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dvorak wrote:

@7up wrote:

Well it was plusnet that unlocked the forum to non customers because they wanted it to grow. As mentioned above, i'm sure they'd be horrified to see so many padlocks there too so you can't blame us for your actions.

So take chat away from non-customers? You would lose most of the current posters that post in chat.

I've alway said that. Some non subscribers taking up pages of space, ban them

Anonymous
Not applicable

No Forum...

No Plusnet... ?

Simple...

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Anonymous  pointless post, no help. why - what is your beef?

Why not just own up with your previous forum names and be at least honest?

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I don't see the need to ban anyone other than those who make trouble and I whole heartedly agree with RobPN. As I said yesterday, since last years 1 month ban was rescinded and a certain self imposed exile, things have been pleasant, even a little quite over the last 12 mths, at least up to the last couple weeks or so.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Anonymous wrote:

No Forum...

No Plusnet... ?

Simple...

It's time to get things into proportion.

There are over 100,000 registered members, 22 other boards and from a qick count up, less than 20 members up in arms!

The PC/Woke/etc. brigade can work tirelessly to suppress logical arguments but they do nothing to change hearts and minds. That requires an open mind and logical argument from both sides.

It's unfashionable to argue against extreme illogical views these days, hence the suppression of public discussion. From what I read in the press, logical opinions expressed in a public forum can lead to trolling and death threats.

To be fair I can see why Plusnet do not want this happening under their banner.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

If those 20 or so forum members are so desperate for a General Chat section - why don't they make there own forum & use that?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@7up wrote:

@dvorak wrote:

The number of 'just one person' that have asked for their accounts to be deleted because of chat is now beyond a joke.

Most of them were even customers of Plusnet.

So who are all of these usernames? - Because JonoH couldn't remember just two of them.

If what has been claimed is true @7up , then surely we would have seen GC littered with posts with that 'anonymised' icon representing a user who has had their account removed.

Strangely, apart from one or two that we know about, that didn't seem to be the case. Roll_eyes 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Baldrick1 wrote:

There are over 100,000 registered members, ...

A vast number of which accounts have been created by spammers (obviously due to PlusNets open-door policy for the forum); IME they're mainly from the far east, USA, Indian subcontinent etc.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@RobPN 

Let me rephrase it so that you might get my point.

I don’t know how many customers Plusnet have but I would guess that it’s in the millions. Of these a sizeable proportion is probably unaware that there’s a forum, let alone a chat board. To suggest that the demise of this board (or even the forum) could result in the demise of Plusnet is ridiculous.

I suspect that many of the non customer contributors to the chat board come here because their ISP do not have a forum, let alone a chat board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'