Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forums slow to load.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Forums slow to load.

Up until yesterday mid-morning, forums have been loading almost instantly for me, but ow I'm having spells where the loading can 'stick' at almost any point in the cycle. This is more an annoyance than anything else as I only visit when I'm not busy elsewhere, but it is still bugging me.

Anyone else noticing this?

BTW all other sites I visit load as normal.

John
53 REPLIES 53
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Forums slow to load.

Hi @jab1,

The community undergoes regular maintenance in the early hours once a week and it could be possible that your browser needs to redownload cached assets of the site from time to time which would cause a little bit of a slow down. Once you have redownloaded those assets it should run as normal though.

I haven't personally experienced any slowdowns for a while myself but slower connections might be hit a little bit harder when this occurs.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I saw a similar slowdown on Tues / Wed for much of the day.  I put it down to the fact that this week I'm away from home and relying on a wireless connection.  Nevertheless other sites e.g. BBC News / Facebook appeared to be unaffected?  Most noticeable delay was in the Login process - took 4 to 5 secs.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 wrote:

Hi @jab1,

The community undergoes regular maintenance in the early hours once a week and it could be possible that your browser needs to redownload cached assets of the site from time to time which would cause a little bit of a slow down. Once you have redownloaded those assets it should run as normal though.

I haven't personally experienced any slowdowns for a while myself but slower connections might be hit a little bit harder when this occurs.

Don't think what I'm seeing is that (now), but maybe the problem reported on the Service Status phoneline - having been elsewhere. I am finding odd sites being slow to load and my hourly speed-test is having problems too.

John
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Going slow again today - including uploading images

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Slow at the moment. But is it the forum itself or the 'packet loss' issue?

jab1
Legend

@BrightonRock - it is the forums. I've just come back, having been out since about 10 A.M, and the ONLY site that has loaded slow is this one.

The Members Centre also seems a bit slow, but as I only visit there once every day, I can't really comment.

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's strange as we do not host the community, it is hosted elsewhere by Lithium. I suspect it could be an issue with the ongoing problems that others have been having with their BB connections? I couldn't say for sure though. It has been pretty quick to load for me from the office and at home (but I do not get my fibre connection from PN at home).

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

yes i must admit it has slowed this afternoon Embarrassed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bazinga_81
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Definitely agree last 2 days been well slow other sites fine so definitely the forum that slowed down.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I shall raise a support ticket with Lithium and ask if they can have a look at the server stats.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

For me, out of all the forums I use, plusnet's always been the slowest.

It loads fine, it's just I can usually slowly count off the fingers of one hand while a page loads.

Curiously ebay's lithium pages usually take around half the time or less.

jab1
Legend

@jaread83 - it is definitely slower than other sites I visit - maybe because of the different 'elements' being loaded?

The other sites I visit are not hosted by Lithium or, (so far as I know) are not Lithium based, and seem to load 'all at once'. I'll try the TalkTalk forums later, because I know they are Lithium.

Just FYI, I'm on a 'slowish' 7MB ADSL connection.

Edit to ADD - it is definitely the Lithium bits that are slow - TT's forum 'hangs' the same as this one when loading. It is not usually a long wait, but you certainly notice the difference.

John
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

For me - I use fibre though Colindale - the Forum is much faster tonight than last night. Whether due to the work on Colindale or something else I cannot say.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Lithium have not found any anomalies with the platform so far. I have checked on my home connection (100mb fibre from Virgin Media) and my 4G (Three) phone connection on my iPhone and it loads pretty quickly for me. Even over here in the office at Plusnet the forums loads pretty quickly. When I say quickly, every page loads in under 1 second with no delays.