Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum thread display order

colintivy
Rising Star

Forum thread display order

Hi folks,
I recently printed out a complete PN thread of particular interest (brain not as receptive as it used to be). This meant that the order of printing of course followed the order of display which can make difficult reading. On the Ubuntu forums there is the option to reverse the order of display which is very handy for printing and I find that being able to scroll down when reading the displayed text from the first post onwards is also acceptable. Is there a major problem in offering this facility?Huh
Just a thought!
colintivy  Roll_eyes
5 REPLIES 5
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Forum thread display order

Are you saying you want to view the most recent posts first rather than last?  If so it can be set under 'Look and layout preferences' in your profile.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

See attachment.
See also http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,58366.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi artmo,
Thanks for quick action. I really would like to be able to specify the order in which posts are displayed. The Ubuntu forums have a set of boxes with alternative criteria for:-  1 the sorting content. 2 the order of sorting and 3 the starting point. These allow a lot of flexibility which can be easily amended on the page as required. My point was limited to the ease of printing out a thread in a sort of book order ie Page 1 first (usually the first post) followed by the others in turn. In general posts now show the latest first which would be the last page of a book. Clearly there is some merit in being able to have it as now with only the last post is the first to be seen, particularly when there is a to and fro between posters as there often is.
Being able to select would be a handy option.
colintivy.  Roll_eyes
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Folks,
I have unticked the recent "posts first" box and now things are much clearer. I had forgotten about that bit of the Profile. But it does mean going to to the Profile to do it.
colintivy  Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you can find a SMF modification that does what you want you could ask Plusnet to consider adding it to these forums.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)