cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum signatures

Not applicable

Forum signatures

Oldjim has raised the subject of forum signatures, remarking that he is still having to send messages to people about breaching the rules.
I just want to ask why signatures in graphic form are necessary and what people's opinions are about this?
Is it necessary to have images which appear with every reply?  Do people get a bit fed up with seeing the same ones at the end of each response?  Bear in mind that it is the content and quality of the reply that we are interested in, not the appendage.
My own view is that a solution to the problem as outlined by Oldjim is to have no graphic signatures at all then there would be no need to be reprimanding members.
What do others think?  Huh
21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Forum signatures

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.msg756732.html#msg756732
Quote from: Oldjim
Heads up - change of rules regarding signature and image sizes.
As the Plusnet speed tester gives an image of standard size 200 x 100 px and I am getting tired of sending PM's requesting it be reduced to 80 px high we have agreed that the rule can be changed to
Signatures should use no more space than 5 lines of standard sized text would, this includes any blank lines and images you choose to use. Image based signatures should be limited to 100 x 560 pixels and a maximum file size of 40kB.
The number of standard lines of text have been increased to more or less match the new image size.

Since changing the rules I haven't seen any problems.
Besides I like images in signatures
The other factor is the size of text signatures which used to cause problems as well and changing the rule seems to have sorted that one
By all means discuss image based signatures but don't base it on moderators having to take action
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and one person had only four lines of long text, but if you only had a standard narrow screen it flowed over to six lines and used to annoy me til I found out why
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
Do people get a bit fed up with seeing the same ones at the end of each response?  Bear in mind that it is the content and quality of the reply that we are interested in, not the appendage.

Yes yes yes!
Unfortunately, we're in a bit of a minority. Sad
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I agree we should not have images in signatures, they only add to the post length.
Some people may say such images are added by the poster to be amusing or interesting...I beg to differ!  Annoying and puerile springs to mind.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I have an image in my signature which is to follow us on Twitter so I'd like to see them stay.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Nick Russell
Actually the signature size with images is very little different to your signature size.
Now if we scrapped all signature images and limited sigs to one line of standard text  Lips_are_sealed
Spider
Grafter

Now if we scrapped all signature images and limited sigs to one line of standard text  Lips_are_sealed

Sounds interesting especially if we can limit the number of characters used in that one line
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I have an image in my signature which is to follow us on Twitter so I'd like to see them stay.

Your image could be replicated fairly easily with text though – you could set a font size that's greater than the signature default so it still stands out a bit.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

@Nick Russell
Actually the signature size with images is very little different to your signature size.

Touché....how about this now?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Let them stay, Please! I'm making my Million.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
avatastic
Grafter

Oddly I like images in signatures.
Although I did get told off when mine ran at 5 lines long ... could have pointed out it was an image and didn't need to obey the number of lines rule as it was under 80px high  Roll_eyes
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
oldhag

I agree with poppy graphic signatures are not necessary.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is my sig big enough?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

community
Grafter

I believe that  my own signature can be appropriate to many other ramblings I have witnessed  Grin