Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum pages reloading

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Forum pages reloading

Has anyone else noticed forum pages reloading?

I am definitely seeing the below far too regularly using MS Edge on Win11 and I'm sure I have see it occasionally on Win10 and my iPhone.

Various pages reload after initial loading and something being done on that page.  Notably I have experienced...

• Load the notification page - see a number of new notifications - then the page reloads and the new notification flags have (as designed) gone
  • Seek to reply to a post, get the post screen up and start typing only for the page to refresh and what has been typed is lost.  In some environments / situations there is a warning that the page wants to reload and content will be lost - clicking cancel simply redisplays the message, the only option is to reload
  • Click a link to a post see it and then the page reloads positioning that the top of the page

I have not yet clearly discerned a means of reproducing this at will.

Moderators Note: Typo corrected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

22 REPLIES 22
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Forum pages reloading

@Townman wrote:

Has anyone else noticed form pages reloading?

I am definitely seeing the below far too regularly using MS Edge on Win11 and I'm sure I have see it occasionally on Win10 and my iPhone.

Various pages reload after initial loading and something being done on that page.

Yes, have seen the auto-reload, but tbh had put it down to the recent Edge updates which (like Windows updates) often resolve themselves eventually.

However, here, this is happening without "something being done on that page", eg when I opened the page with your post above on it, it suddenly did a brief disappear (fleeting, like a photo being taken) then re-established itself in almost the same, or the same, position (that's how it seemed, like when you do a double-take on something and you're not absolutely certain it looks identical to the first time).

The auto-reload is happening often enough now - combined with the fact that you've posted about it - to cause me to wonder if it is indeed a forum-based issue - yes it might well be down to Edge but - realistically - I haven't seen it happen anywhere else but here.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Penny, you are confirming what I am seeing and amplifying it.

Yes some pages are flashing on loading - your post accessed via the notification link - flashed after being displayed.  I have seen this before, but had not linked it to the issue I've reported.  I am only noticing this on this forum.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Don't think I've noticed it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

... you on Edge, @dvorak (?)

I'm seeing this with Edge on a desktop PC, if I didn't clarify that previously.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What browser / environment do you use?

Given the marked difference we see in the user portal between browsers and the same browser but a different OS ... nothing appearing inconsistent would surprise me any more!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'm using Edge, but on a decent OS (macOS) Wink 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Just noticed this when I opened the page to reply - using Firefox (97.0.1) with Linux. The "reply boxes" appeared, blinked and the discussion details we added.

I have previously seen the same effect with a different website I use regularly.

Some sort of optimised loading?

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@dvorak wrote:

I'm using Edge, but on a decent OS (macOS) Wink 

Interesting you're not seeing the re-loads, then.  The desktop here uses Windows 10 (not my PC, or I'd be back on Windows 7 with Office 2003, but that's a whole other story).

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm not sure if it's the same thing but something similar at least started happening a couple of weeks ago.  I'm using FF (always the latest version) in W10.  I put it down to my slow connection or using the 'wrong' browser and actually thought about trying Edge to see if it would help.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@PeeGee wrote:

Just noticed this when I opened the page to reply - using Firefox (97.0.1) with Linux. The "reply boxes" appeared, blinked and the discussion details we added.

I have previously seen the same effect with a different website I use regularly.

Using FF98.0.1 on Zorin 15.3 (Ubuntu-based) I don't see this, unless it is so quick I miss it.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm seeing it W10 current Firefox.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Ah, it's not just me then - seeing it regularly with Win 10 and FF 98.0.1.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Yesterday twice whilst replying to a post I had this happen. I assumed that it was finger trouble and couldn’t work out what I had done. This was using an iPad running Safari.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@PeeGee wrote:

Does FF have "System and performance" 'optimisation' setting similar to MS Edge?

I think these are comparatively recent in Edge.