Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Rules

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Forum Rules

I see that a number of topics are banned from being discussed on the forum but I see no reference to a discussion on face masks being banned or the limit on the number of times a topic can be discussed.

If there is no interest in that topic then it usually gets few or no replies and moves down the list, an alternative is to merge the topic with a similar one.

I suspect however this topic was locked not for the reason given but because some dimwit decided to make a inappropriate response, that in my opinion is a dangerous path to go down as it means other genuine topics could get locked for the same reason.

I am at a loss to understand why like most other forums moderators simply do not warn or even ban those who continue to make posts with the deliberate aim of causing offence.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
18 REPLIES 18
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Forum Rules

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to Community Feedback.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

"The moderators are empowered to perform any actions they deem fit to protect the integrity of the forums."
Customer / Moderator
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@dvorak 

So it's a personal choice then not a logical one.

Glad we got that sorted. 🙂

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

@dvorak 

So it's a personal choice then not a logical one.

It seems that way.

Whilst the decision could have gone the other way and the topic simply merged, there are other topics about Marmite and Tesco shopping which are raised time and again by the same poster yet they are allowed to remain.  I can't see any reason why those threads shouldn't be either locked in favour of previous threads or merged with them.  Undecided

Edited for clarity

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Let’s just accept the fact that the wearing of masks has all the potential to become as nasty and contentious as the Brexit  topics became. 
There are other outlets for such discussions.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@dvorak wrote:
"The moderators are empowered to perform any actions they deem fit to protect the integrity of the forums."

@Minivanman  @gleneagles 

The Police call this....  "Section 5 - Public order"..... 

A catch-all excuse for arresting someone, who may or may not be a perpetrator, but had been seen or heard doing something the policeman at the scene, ( usually relating to the start of the incident, that the policeman was unaware of ) and did not approve of the miscreant`s actions on his arrival. 

dvorak

An it's your personal choice to agree to the rules and post here. If you disagree so strongly you don't have to sticky around.

It's interesting that the ones that have most to say are the ones no longer customers Roll_eyes

Customer / Moderator
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Let’s just accept the fact that the wearing of masks has all the potential to become as nasty and contentious as the Brexit  topics became. 

I would argue that almost any topic has the potential to become nasty and contentious if certain individuals decide to make personal remarks….

Perhaps we need to stay away from free prescription for the elderly, reduction in aid to other countries etc, etc the list is endless.

Any intelligent person should be able to express a view based on the facts as they understand them without resorting to personal remarks if they disagree with replies that vary to their own opinion.

This post originated in chat ….something it has now become…..what next….a move back to chat…..or perhaps locked ?

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@dvorak wrote:

An it's your personal choice to agree to the rules and post here. If you disagree so strongly you don't have to sticky around.

It's interesting that the ones that have most to say are the ones no longer customers Roll_eyes

I didn’t see the rule you posted earlier in the ‘Rules’ but as for those who had the most to say no longer being with PN I would have thought that any company would do it’s best to retain and recruit customers and many of those who had the most to say put forward many suggestions and offered help to other customers who had problems.

shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak wrote:

@dvorak 

Which rule states that non-customers have a restriction on the amount of comment/postings/threads, are you referring to ?

dvorak

Gosh talk about jumping to poor conclusions.
I didn't say ex-customers or non-customers weren't welcome or shouldn't post.
Merely that the ones complaining about the rules the and moderator actions in this specific posts were not customers.

I'm just assuming your new ISP forums are not as friendly or helpful as we are Wink
Customer / Moderator
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@gleneagles wrote:

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I would argue that almost any topic has the potential to become nasty and contentious if certain individuals decide to make personal remarks….

Perhaps we need to stay away from free prescription for the elderly, reduction in aid to other countries etc, etc the list is endless.

Any intelligent person should be able to express a view based on the facts as they understand them without resorting to personal remarks if they disagree with replies that vary to their own opinion.

This post originated in chat ….something it has now become…..what next….a move back to chat…..or perhaps locked ?

There’s a difference between chat with sometimes a bit of banter and coming here with the purpose, or at least knowing  that the post will start an argument between people with widely opposing views.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak wrote:
Gosh talk about jumping to poor conclusions.
I didn't say ex-customers or non-customers weren't welcome or shouldn't post.
Merely that the ones complaining about the rules the and moderator actions in this specific posts were not customers.

I'm just assuming your new ISP forums are not as friendly or helpful as we are Wink

And the only reason that this forum is...............

" as friendly and helpful as we are,...."

is because........  

of the Non- (paying ) customers...

who share their knowledge and expertise with those paying customers.

So a little respect would be appreciated, instead of berating them for the quantity of their postings...

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It's a pity this go getting minority report attitude wasn't around a while back when some threads were laid waste to by the "your a racist" troublemaker.

Then posters asked for action and none was taken. Times are a changing but the boat has already sailed.