Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Jumping Around

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Forum Jumping Around

Anyone else have the same problem?  Open the forum click on a thread and sometimes it takes me off to an obscure page irrelevant to what I clicked on. Another time the font on the index page comes up as Times Roman then resets itself and I also get logged out at random times and at other times I get 'welcomed back' when I've been browsing for 10 minutes or more.

12 REPLIES 12
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Forum Jumping Around

I've seen all of those symptoms at some point, but not enough to capture any reportable information to report.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

it happens under certain circumstances but I put it down to a number of things that I can't be 100% sure about. I 'think' the system tries to remember your location after submitting a reply on another tab and something it will call back to that saved location when you reach an error page and get forwarded elsewhere. I can't be sure how this all works though unfortunately. It has never thrown me out to anywhere unexpected unless I get an error page and click the 'go back' button and it tries to recall where I was last.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

I saw a few problems yesterday, particularly the changed Font.  Occurred sporadically on a few pages for about 10 Mins.  Not repeatable.  Around the same time, selected an entry in the 'Unread Topics' list and got taken to the 'Welcome' page.  No error pages or back-button invoked.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's strange behaviour.

The font thing would be the stylesheet not loading instantly which isn't something that can be changed and depends on how fast your connection is.

I will get in touch with Lithium about the jumping around random locations though as that shouldn't be happening. Is there any chance of you, and anyone else, that have seen this bug can provide an approximate time that it occurred? That should help with the investigations on the server logs when I enquire.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Sorry Jack.  Yesterday was 'One of those days'  Slow internet; DNS fails; intermittent mail connection - not specifically a Plusnet problem I believe more to do with the local weather.  So little focus given to recording each new challenge.  I'll keep a watch on it though.

M

Mayfly
All Star

I'll take note next time (if) it happens.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem guys, I will enquire anyway and see if I can get someone to take a closer look at the server side of things about this.

Minivanman
Legend

Had one earlier - at least I think I did when I replied on one topic and it appeared as a reply on another. Not sure if it was me, or an error somewhere else as it only seems to (rarely) happen when I use my Kindle.  

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
southerner
Aspiring Pro

I have a thing where if I press into the text box to edit text the forum just boots me to the bottom the page & asks if I'm sure I want to leave the page :?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@southerner, that popup is some added functionality by myself as our test users were finding that when accidentally clicking on things while composing a message it would lose their reply. Its just a safe guard against that occuring so you don't lose your content halfway through replying to a thread.

I have sent a support request for Lithium to look into this from their end. Hopefully they can find out what is happening with users being taken to unexpected areas.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In order to diagnose this issue properly, I am going to need affected users to provide a couple of things. Even if only 1 person replies here with these details, it will help Lithium pinpoint where the problem is.

• A timestamp of when this occured (give or take a couple of minutes)
  • The URL of where you were at
  • The link you clicked
  • The URL of where you ended up (that was an unexpected location)

If I can get those details, it will be a great help in finding out what exactly is happening.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread8312:41  approx.  Was in the 'Plusnet Feedback' board, clicked on 'IP addresses not in UK.......' pinned topic and got taken to the Welcome screen'

BTW whist posting this reply there was no cursor in the edit box?  Typing blind!

Maurice