Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fail in 'Report to moderator'

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Fail in 'Report to moderator'

This morning I attempted to report a series of ill-tempered posts including swear filter avoidance in the 'Plusnet Feedback' thread.  (Timed at 07:40 approx) Got the feedback form, typed part of the message then attempted to add the User with @. Message box cleared and the system message appeared.  See image.

report to moderator.JPG

At this point neither option given in the message worked - I got back to the same screen and message - so I had to close the session and restart to post this message.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Fail in 'Report to moderator'

I suspect you were trying to report at the same time I was dealing with the issue and the system got all confused..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

As @dvorak has already said, it looks like you were reporting a thread while it was being moved to thread storage by the mods. When it came to you clicking the button to submit it, the thread had been moved to a restricted area (hence the 'access denied' message).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Thanks @jaread83, @dvorak   Your explanation of the timing of events could well explain how the problem occurred, but it doesn't cover WHY the system behaved in the way it did.

1) The activity was 'report to moderator'  which is effectively a 'private' event not appearing in the public viewable space.  As such the report should still be allowed to be attached to the offending post regardless of its location.  Effectively the system 'lost' data - unforgivable.  BUG 1

2) Having created the hiatus as above, the system should facilitate the User being able to continue interacting with the forum without having to close the session and restart.  BUG 2 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

It was because you were technically interacting with a post that you do not have permission to interact with which is why you got the error. Its just the timing was that the post was in a space where you do have permission and while writing your mod report, it got moved to a place where you don't have permissions.

I don't see any issue here.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83  Please re-read my post above.  No sensibly coded system should leave a user in a state where the session needs to be closed to continue  interaction with the service, however inadvertent the timing was.

Part of my background involved Real Time systems where sloppy coding could lead to catastrophe.