Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark Theme?

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Dark Theme?

@JonoH @jaread83 

Is there the possibility of approaching the site developers to ask for a dark theme; linked to the OS would be good, like google does on Apple. There is a lot of white on this site and a dark theme would be nicer I think.

12 REPLIES 12
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Dark Theme?

You'd know better than me @Mook , but is that not possible using browser settings or add-ons? Undecided 

Mook
Seasoned Champion

That may well be possible @RobPN but the only add-on I have now is an Ad Blocker and to my mind it's better to have something like this baked into the system rather than rely on a third party extension.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Would be nice to see this, currently using Night Eye to switch sites without a dark mode.
However, this makes for depressing reading https://community.khoros.com/t5/Khoros-Community-Product/Communities-dark-theme/td-p/575573

How can a company with so many large companies for customers be so poor at implementing what are considered common features for forum software. The mind boggles.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@Mook wrote:

@JonoH @jaread83 

Is there the possibility of approaching the site developers to ask for a dark theme; linked to the OS would be good, like google does on Apple. There is a lot of white on this site and a dark theme would be nicer I think.

Sure, I'll request it today. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@dvorak wrote:
How can a company with so many large companies for customers be so poor at implementing what are considered common features for forum software. The mind boggles.

If the CSS has been crafted in a tidy manner - colors defined as CSS variables it ought to be a very simple job to re-color the site in whatever color mix one (the site owner) wants without recourse to the product owner.  If however color values have been hard coded throughout the CSS ... then clearly its a darned mess!

[Color "misspelt" intentionally as that is Americanised CSS for you!]

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Mook     Using "Stylus"  Firefox Addon ...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Toning-Down-The-Background/m-p/683961

First suggested CSS came out like this

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Toning-Down-The-Background/m-p/683971#M3707

See post numbe 25 ( the last one ) for a different colour version of CSS  ... NOTE the note  for Chrome Users.

I think you also collaborated with me on a "blue" version .... I still have the CSS for that too. 

Currently my background colour is as this pic shows

plusnet css pale green.png

shutter
Community Veteran

This image is showing the original colour.

khaki background image.png

and this shows how it looks on the "blue"   ( currently in use ) background

blue background & original.png

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for the interest @shutter but to my way of thinking this should be implemented in the core of the system, as I mention above. Doing this correctly across all supported browsers on all supported platforms is not an easy task, far from it, but equally it is doable.

Also, in this day and age I should not need to resort to an Add-in to get the result I want, no, I'll rephrase that; result I expect. Dark mode's not a new thing so as to why the vendor's not supporting it would be nothing more than speculation.

I did help you with it but we both knew it wasn't perfect or indeed a solution, and in the 10 to 12 years that have passed since a Dark theme has still not been made available!

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook  OK>.. agree to a certain extent...  interesting though. what you say about implementing a colour scheme for all browsers could present problems... . also interesting is that GOOGLE does not do this !, so I resort to using Stylus on Firefox ( it does not work with all browsers though ). and my favourite "dark" theme for Google, is Black Google By Panos.  which gives a black background to all google search and result pages.

black google.png

black google 2.png

Mook
Seasoned Champion

It does do it and its done automatically for me with my iMac set to 'Dark Theme', you can see the result here:

Google Dark Theme

shutter
Community Veteran

Ah yes.... 😀    but mine is prettier ! ! ...Cheesy

Mook
Seasoned Champion

No.