cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in behaviour when clicking on attachments

Mav
Fixes: 514

Change in behaviour when clicking on attachments

Since FF was updated to 55.0.3 I have noticed that instead of attachments (jpg, png, etc) opening in the next tab I started to get a pop-up asking where I wanted to save it or which app to open it with:

Capture.JPG

Initially I thought there may have been a setting changed particularly in TabMixPlus but nothing appears obvious.

I thought if I select Firefox then things may continue as they did but the image was opened in a new tab at the end rather than next to the current one. I still get this pop-up every time.

I don't see this happening in other forums hence posting here rather than Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Change in behaviour when clicking on attachments

@Mav - When viewing your thread and I click on your image it appears in a popup window (I think it's called a lightbox?). Can you provide an example link where this is happening please.

Mav

I've re-added the image above using the Browse button rather than Images button (if you see what I mean) so it shows as an attachment at the bottom of the post rather than within the post.

Attachments embedded within the post open as expected (lightbox) but those added using the Browse button no longer open in the next tab as they used to (but seemingly only for this forum).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I'm seeing the same problem using Pale Moon x64.

eta: Same in Microsoft Edge so lithium have broke things again Ticked_off

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mav, yes I see now, I too get the same behaviour on Mac with FF v55.0.3

Mav

Glad it's not just me, thenWink

Just wish I could find a way to revert to how it was but no success as yet.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

That is odd. It normally opens the link in a new tab - if its an image it will just open in the browser... but now it asks to download everytime. Does the same in Chrome too. Must a how the file is served to the browser.. can't see why it would download instead of attempting to render the file within the browser...

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Mav

I'm beginning to find it a little annoying now as the number of attachments needed to check can be numerous at times.

As I haven't seen this in any other forums or sites (yet) is it something Lithium has implemented and can it be returned to how it was?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Mav - I'm no expert, but as you say, this looks like a Lithium - induced regression and @jaread83 seems to have gone quiet.

I agree it's a pain, but until we hear something, I guess we're stuck.Cry

John
Mav

@jab1

To be fair @jaread83 has done a sterling job on these forums and has worked wonders to make them as usable as they are now.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Sorry, Mav - I wasn't having a go at Jack, I agree he has done a fantastic job with the forums - it was a tongue-in-cheek type comment that didn't translate well. Embarrassed

John
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry guys, I have gone a bit quiet recently and haven't had a chance to raise this one with Lithium due to other things going on here. Its all good @jab1, I know I have been quiet. I will raise this one with Lithium right now.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

update: support email sent

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have heard back from Lithium support.

Okay, so this change was intentional BUT there is a new setting in the admin panel to change how this behaves. I have switched this setting on for now to see what it does. So PDFs, text files, word docs and similar will all open with an online viewer. Unfortunately, for images this does not apply and they will still need to be downloaded to be viewed in a photo viewer on your computer.

For images, I would encourage everyone to use the dedicated image functionality when posting images so that they appear in the post. For mobile and tablet users - you will still need to use the attachment functions for adding images to posts.

I will try and find a work around for this but it could be a bit more complicated than simply flipping a switch in the code.