Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding words to the spell checker

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Adding words to the spell checker

This is just an idea.

When using the spell checker which I think works generally fine, I've noticed words I think that should be in there which aren't. I can't remember the ones I found now (yes, I know that's helpful - sorry). I assume the forum software admin page will let a mod or admin to manually add ones in?

I was wondering whether to start a thread (ok well I have now). On words people think should be added? What do you think - then I guess it'll need PlusNet and mod approval before it is added?

Yes I know we can't have anything dodgy such as swears, words or acronyms of ones, not family friendly words etc. The ones I did find were innocent ones - honest Angel

12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Adding words to the spell checker

do you actually mean the spell checker or what used to be called the swear filter

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I found the same thing with other spell-checkers and I'm wondering if it's set to English U.S. rather than English U.K. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Alex
Community Veteran

Yes I meant the spell checker not swear filter.

Works both ways I guess - if we post a word which is not in the spell checker, admins can decide to add it to spell checker, not to, or it should go in the swear filter instead Tongue

No but being serious, they were not sweary words.

Mav
Fixes: 515

If you do mean the swear filter then use the Report to Moderator for any words you feel are inappropriate and they will be discussed with staff and added if deemed necessary.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Alex
Community Veteran

@Mav

I wasn't referring to the swear filter - I am talking about the spell checker not picking up innocent words I checked I had spelt correctly.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That will be the spell-checker in your browser then.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 2.23.21 pm.png

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I must confess I had completely forgotten about that as I've used my browser spell-checker for so long Embarrassed

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran

Yep no worries. It doesn't happen very often and generally works fine, but there were a few I noticed (about 3 I think).

Probably best to PM a mod if I find another one?

Not the end of the world I know. Always alternatives - Ctrl C, Ctrl V into Word, spell check and Ctrl C, Ctrl V back into your post. That's what I used to do when we used SMF. Tongue

Just trying to be helpful.

Alex
Community Veteran

Here's two to start you all off (this is like a quiz, I know you're all excited Tongue).
From my last post:

Ransomware
Malware

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

its odd sometimes like Online dont work , the spellcheck offer no alternative for online which it says is spelt wrong

Capture.PNG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

We can't add words to the spell checker unfortunately. However, we do have the option to let your own browser deal with spell checking (which you can add words in yourself) - maybe this would be worth a try? Shame you can't set this per user.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.