cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about the Thumbs Up counter view.

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

A question about the Thumbs Up counter view.

I don't think what I see is the correct behaviour but it won’t do any harm to mention it if I'm wrong.

When you hover over counter you see a list of the users that have liked a post, if you then proceed to click the thumb icon  yourself and then view the hover you see this:
ThumpsUp-Hover.png

Is this correct, should it not be the list with your own username added? If you refresh the page it shows the list as before.

6 REPLIES 6
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: A question about the Thumbs Up counter view.

Fix

I recall reporting this as an 'issue' back when we were testing the *NEW* Forum.  Cannot find the reply - but it was judged to be "the way it's supposed to work"?

Given the other problems, I've just learned to live with it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that @MauriceC its no big deal to me to be honest, or others as it would appear, but thought I'd mention it when I came across it.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Seems to be working fine for me using Chrome under Windows 10 Pro x64.

190613.png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Browni 

But you have not looked at the mouse over on the count after having added your thanks for the post.

@Anonymous 

I suspect that this has something to do with the count limit of the number of users displayed on the mouse over - if there are many, you do not see their names at all, it just becomes a link to the list of thankers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had considered before I posted @Townman, but as you can see from the screen capture there are only two and when Jack wrote this component the number was set greater than this to more than two. IMSMC I've seen 5 maybe more in the list.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sorry, I was not clear.

I suspect that when the page loads, code (somewhere - possibly server side?) calculates the number people liking the post and decides to display names or the link to the list text.

When the post is liked, the calculation is not reperformed (client side), so the hover text is simply changed to indicate a link to the list.  I suspect that adding the current user's name to the existing list was felt too difficult or not safe to do client side.  There is also the additional logic (complication) of removing the name if a (returning) user removes their like!

Whilst it seems odd, the possibility that some of this is done server side and the complications of removing a name form the list (might be in the middle), what is implemented seems like a pragmatic compromise (aka a fudge!) I might have hacked myself. Cheesy