Did you mean: 

iPhone5, iOS6 and the network tonght?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

iPhone5, iOS6 and the network tonght?

Evening folks,
Most who haven't had their head in the sand recently will know that Apple have got something up their sleeves for today that's strongly rumoured to be the announcement of the iPhone 5 and an event is about to kick-off that will shed some light on the myriad of rumours that have been circulating over recent weeks/months (Macworld are doing live updates here).
Other rumours include the launch of a new music streaming service, updates to Apple's iTunes and some news on a lower-end/smaller iPad. It could also mark the availability of iOS6. This is what this post is about really. When iOS5 was launched it caused some fairly heavy traffic on the network as can be seen in Matt's blog post here. If iOS6 is made available tonight then we could see a repeat performance.
To prepare for this we've made a number of network configuration changes to prepare us for the worst. We've brought forward the next bandwidth flex, applied some precautionary global rate limits and adjusted our bandwidth schedulers to help mitigate the impact any potential update could have on the rest of your traffic. We've also separated/ring-fenced some iTunes/Apple traffic from our 'Gold' traffic queues where most of your web browsing/streaming etc. sits.
That's the purpose of this post really. To ask you guys to keep an eye on things tonight and provide feedback if you notice any performance problems. If iOS6 is released, we'd also be keen to hear about your experiences downloading it on your Plusnet connection.
Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

24 REPLIES 24
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: iPhone5, iOS6 and the network tonght?

To ask you guys to keep an eye on things tonight and provide feedback if you notice any performance problems. If iOS6 is released, we'd also be keen to hear about your experiences downloading it on your Plusnet connection.

This is the key bit really.  We've made some changes which we think are the right way for the network to be set up.  I.e. you get access to download this stuff, but without causing your voip/gaming/streaming of tv etc to be impacted.  With iOS5, I don't believe we really had it right, so this time we are hoping you don't notice!  Let us know....
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice post Bob
Here's the latest timescale, Bob & Kelly
iOS 6 rollout on 19 September, for the iPad as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable

iTunes 10.7 is however available for download right now (157mb)
With support for iOS 6
For Apple iMac anyway.
Which may cause Network slowdowns ?
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

JamesM
Grafter

About 15 minutes ago I was playing BF3 and for the first time since the game came out I had a red triangle connection warning and couldn't move. I could shoot but I couldn't hit anything. I guess now I know the reason why.  Cool

we've made a number of network configuration changes

This was great, I joined 2 thirds of the way into a map and ended up with about 38 kills for 8 deaths, and the second map before the connection issues I was mowing down 3 enemies while they were shooting me, I am surprised I wasn't kicked for suspicion of hacking  Cheesy
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

streams are dire atm, caching ever 1-2mins tvcatchup.com, wire shark shows bronze 0x00
edit: hmm ok now wireshark is showing gold 0x80
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Anonymous
Not applicable

Explained by iTunes downloads tonight ?
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems with speed, nor downloads for me tonight
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please note - this thread is for problems not for PlusComUK to post loads of pictures about forthcoming Apple updates
I am now trying to decide which ones to split off and to move elsewhere
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Check out the latency on all the graphs:
http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
That isn't great 😕
Edit:  Or you could all just be downloading itunes....
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well, over the past few days I've seen ping latency during peak time (8-10 around about) increasing for no apparent reason. It's even increasing when no device is using the connection.
Looking over the other graphs there does seem to be some correlation with the peak time increase. Is there something to be worried about for PN?
That's RPM to you!!
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Check out the latency on all the graphs:
http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/

Yup - the same thing is showing on our graph too, for fibre.
And we certainly aren't doing anything on the line - so it's all either within PN or from there out to TBB.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps, more relevantly, people all over the country, with various ISP's, were downloading the 400 page Hillsborough Report ?
hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/report/HIP_report.pdf
(But it's only 7.4mb)
houlton23
Grafter

From here it looks like everything Gold Plated and below on 21CN hit the fan last night, although it looks like you got it right with Gold, as I didn't notice any problems.
Alex Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Slightly OT but, I think, relevant (if a somewhat noob-ish question):
What traffic classification are the TBB ping graphs using?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.