Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential Refresh 2014 FAQ

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Residential Refresh 2014 FAQ

If you have any questions regarding the new packages and charges that have come into effect today 10/06/2014 -
Please find our FAQ here: http://community.plus.net/plusnet-residential-refresh-faq-june-2014/
88 REPLIES 88
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Residential Refresh 2014 FAQ

Why are PN penalising customers ( paying the same, getting less) who can not get or do not want fibre ( fibre get evening and weekends, ADSL just weekends ), yet you are happy to charge them the same for line rental.? In some cases paying more on adsl then customers on fibre (Market 1).
How much will Line Rental cost?
Line Rental will increase to £15.95pcm (this includes Weekends for Unlimited broadband and Evening & Weekends for both Fibre packages).

Very very poor judgement PN, giving one set of customer less than the other, yet both paying the same ! .
PN what's the reason for this ? Would the ADSL customer have to pay another £1.50 a month extra on top for evening and weekend calls? Just seen this is now an extra £ 2 month for ADSL customers, disgusting !

LRS increase , is that just for new customers, or everybody, when their LRS is up for renewal ?

Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What this tells me is that any potential customers on Market 1 exchanges would be better off going with BT as it is cheaper and includes a few other things as well
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm interested in:
Both Fibre products will be provisioned on 80/20 speeds, however, the Unlimited Fibre (Up to 38Mbps) package will be capped at 40/20 on our side.

That presumably means the same (wholesale) cost to Plusnet for both products (ignoring the inclusion of the 'Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee Antivirus' on the 'Extra' product since many will not see a lot of real value in that extra).
I can't really see that those limited to just 38Mbps will necessarily consume a lot less bandwidth so this appears, to me, that the basic Unlimited Fibre represents far better value (especially as many don't/wouldn't get full speed on 80/20 anyway) than Unlimited Fibre Extra.
An aside to this:  On the 'basic' Unlimited Fibre (40/20) would any potential future Plusnet IPTV (Multicast) offering be using bandwidth only within the PN capped 38Mbps or could it use additional available bandwidth since the line is still provisioned on 80/20 so some 'spare' may be available?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: I
Why are PN penalising customers ( paying the same, getting less) who can not get or do not want fibre ( fibre get evening and weekends, ADSL just weekends ), yet you are happy to charge them the same for line rental.? In some cases paying more on adsl then customers on fibre (Market 1).

I can understand where you're coming from Mike, however, the Evening and Weekends included in the bundle if you take out Fibre and phone is to encourage people to take out the bundle. I can appreciate that not everyone can get Fibre, however, if a customer chooses Unlimited broadband and adds E&W they would still pay less than a customer on Unlimited Fibre.
An aside to this:  On the 'basic' Unlimited Fibre (40/20) would any potential future Plusnet IPTV (Multicast) offering be using bandwidth only within the PN capped 38Mbps or could it use additional available bandwidth since the line is still provisioned on 80/20 so some 'spare' may be available?

I'll feedback to the people looking into how multicast would work as it's theoretically possible if your line is sync'd above 40Mbps to use that for multicast but we've not yet decided.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Not for those on market 1 compared to market 2 and 3 tho
Market 1 ( £15.95 line rental , £17.49 adsl , £2 evening and weekends = £ 35.44 )
Market 2.3 ( £15.95 line rental , £14.99 fibre , free evening and weekends = £ 30.94 )
I think PN should include the free evening and weekend calls if you take a bundle for Fibre or ADSL.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If a customer contracts for unlimited fibre extra and then finds that BTOR can only deliver up to 38Mbps, will PN allow a package down grade without penalty or will they force BTOR to deliver the contracted for service?
Now that the pricing is speed based, there needs to be assurances that BTOR can and will deliver the estimated speeds.  Hiding behind "it is just an estimate which can vary depending upon local line conditions" is no longer commercially acceptable.
Kevin

Kelly
Hero

Quote from: w23
An aside to this:  On the 'basic' Unlimited Fibre (40/20) would any potential future Plusnet IPTV (Multicast) offering be using bandwidth only within the PN capped 38Mbps or could it use additional available bandwidth since the line is still provisioned on 80/20 so some 'spare' may be available?

That's a genius idea.  I hadn't considered it.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

So pay monthly and the line rental goes up a shocking £1.45 a month. Pay year in advance and it goes up a ridiculous £2.00 a month and this when wholesale prices are dropping. Plusnet is getting greedy and less competitive. Certainly not the PlusNet I joined many years ago.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Where one leads , every one else follows , which is very true of PN these days, regarding line rental.
As we all know the increase of LR is just away to subsidise broadband cost, whilst keeping the headline price artificially low.
I wonder how long it is before us existing customer get an email, informing that they will be increasing LR.
Maybe with the increase in revenue they will be able to sort out the their, billing and referral systems quicker, be nearly a year when the referral system went wrong, and still no end in sight.
Regards
Mike

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: I
Market 1 ( £15.95 line rental , £17.49 adsl , £2 evening and weekends = £ 35.44 )
Market 2.3 ( £15.95 line rental , £14.99 fibre , free evening and weekends = £ 30.94 )

I understand what you're saying Mike, however, my point was more based on a customer who is in Market 1 would pay more regardless if it was ADSL or FTTC.
I'll definitely mention it to the relevant team though.
If a customer contracts for unlimited fibre extra and then finds that BTOR can only deliver up to 38Mbps, will PN allow a package down grade without penalty or will they force BTOR to deliver the contracted for service?

If it turns out that the estimated speed was incorrect upon signup and (not due to a fault) the actual speed is lower than 38Mbps then we'd advise the customer to contact COT to discuss changing the package.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I see from http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml that it hasn't been updated for the new products
Are the new unlimited products the same as the old ones
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you get to that webpage going through the support links from the main webpage? I'm unable to find that page going through the support pages.
Yes, the new Unlimited products are the same as the old ones.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea
I get to it using the search option
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What do you type in the search bar?