Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Peak time latency spikes - TAP3 Test failure

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Re: Peak time latency spikes - TAP3 Test failure

Well done for hacking it Andy, but as Bright says anyone used to be able to run it. That was useful as part of diagnosing issues even when you hadn't technically got an initial test failure. Until all the recent issues I hadn't tried it for a couple of years, mainly because with the modem/router I was using at the time it meant a loss of sync changing the username!
Quote from: AndyH
p.s. Also, how come I get 91.41Mbps from this test?  Cheesy

That's because it goes straight from the exchange over the Backhaul direct to the BT Speedtester. It doesn't go anywhere near an ISP's network. It's only 4.39Mbps slower than your best over the PN network (4.8%) slower  Wink
Anyway perhaps Chris could just clarify a couple of points -
first, I assume TAP1 is the normal test? Is TAP2 bt_test_user@plusdsl.net - that wouldn't even login last time I tried.
See if you can hack TAP2 Andy. If you get it to work, it goes to the Tester via the PN netwrok, but bypassing Traffic Management (well it used to!).
AndyH
Grafter

The thresholds aren't right for the TAP3 test to be triggered.
16Mbps for me is wrong if my IP Profile is 96.54Mbps. If I was getting consistently half my IP Profile, PN would report it as a fault to BT - but as it stands I wouldn't be able to run the TAP3 test.
englishrick
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Well that one has been solved  Shocked
As Chris says, seems like the TAP3 test only works once you're diagnosed with a fault (speeds lower than the acceptable level). It gives you the option to proceed to the next step - I've taken screenshots of the proccess.
Interestingly you might be able to cheat the system and load the test from here: http://test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/indexTap3Frames.jsp?BBIP=%20&TAP=3&BBD=
If me messing around has triggered an automatic fault, can someone cancel it? Smiley
p.s. Also, how come I get 91.41Mbps from this test?  Cheesy

@AndyH.. Tried your method and couldnt get it to work but now when I try to run the BTW speed test further diagnosis i keep being put onto the TAP3 test..I think its fubard...
AndyH
Grafter

Hmm that's strange. You know you can only run the TAP3 test from the BT test account right?
It tries to run the TAP3 test from when you're using your PN login?
englishrick
Grafter

Yep then comes up error...saying enter speedtest@speedtest_domain to run test and it opens another page again
adie:quote
AndyH
Grafter

What happens if you change your WAN login/password (speedtest@speedtest_domain/testing) and then reload the speed test? Same again?
englishrick
Grafter

its back to normal this morning cheers
Finguz
Grafter

Any word on why this still isn't working for some of us?
Finguz
Grafter

Anybody?
Bright
Grafter

@ Finguz
Did you see AndyH's post here? Basically the TAP3 test only works if you have already carried out the TAP2 test and that failed. Unless you get a failed TAP2 test and a message asking you if you wish to continue and run the TAP3 test (see Andy's screen shots) it simply won't work  Sad
Finguz
Grafter

I did indeed, but thanks for pointing that out in case I hadn't, it's appreciated.
I am talking about when the Speedtester finishes it's second stage, highlights the awful speeds, suggests more investigation is necessary and requests me to log in with the speedtester login e.t.c., then fails to load the next page either due to DNS issues or timing out. The same happens to the other guy ( Pod000 ) on my exchange too. It runs fine if I remain logged into Plusnet, then obviously complains at the end that I wasn't logged into the BT speedtest domain.
I've tried more than 6 machines, 3 routers and all fail in exactly the same way.
For what it's worth, the BT speedtester has always worked from here in the past, with all the different flavours of adsl, on any router and any machine.
At the moment it doesn't really matter as the issues plaguing our exchange have been sorted, but it would be nice to know, if I ever needed to use it in the future, that there was a chance it may actually work  Tongue
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I spoke to BT regarding this and they were not aware of any issues from other providers. They did advise that TAP Tests may not run at busy times as the Speedtester can become overloaded. We've seen quite a few examples of the TAP3 Test working and a few not working so it's pretty difficult to tell where the issue lays.
Finguz
Grafter

Yeah, as I say it's not an issue atm, but still odd that the other guy on my exchange has precisely the same problem. I am not talking about it not working on occasion, I mean it has never run TAP3 since I have been on fibre, and I've tried many, many times. Once, during the recently fixed speed issues, we had been out with friends to a local rock night, returned at around 4 a.m, and I thought I'd try the test before bed, and guess what?
Yup, it failed in exactly the same way, repeatedly.
I can't believe it was very busy at 4.am on a Thursday morning, or indeed at every other time we have tried.
I totally expect that one day I will try and run it and it will work just fine, or not  Crazy