Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Peak time latency spikes - TAP3 Test failure

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think I have got it almost right this time despite losing broadband twice while doing it
But I am sure you will tell me otherwise  Sad
AndyH
Grafter

Here's the original details (for reference):
Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi,
If anybody experiences any performance issues, would it be possible for you to perform a Tap3 test?
To run the TAP3 test you will need to change the Username and Password you are connecting to in the router. The details are as below:
USERNAME: speedtest@speedtest_domain
PASSWORD: testing
Once successfully logged in, you can then access the Speed Tester server by typing http://217.32.105.42 in your browser.
Once you have completed the speed test you will then need to change the details in your router back to your standard Plusnet Username and Password.
If you could post your results it would be appreciated.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks for the merge.
I've got some screenshots to take to our suppliers now. I'll update this thread if I need anything further.
Thanks for your input already Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Re: Peak time latency spikes - TAP3 Test failure

FYI (for me) it seems that the only IP addresses that now go direct to the new tester at speedtest.btwholesale.com are 217.32.105.42 & 217.35.209.142
Those IP addresses used to go to the old tester.
The last time I ran it (several days ago perhaps) the old tester address (url) went straight to the new btwholesale tester,  that and the other IP addresses that have appeared at various times 193.113.4.153 & 193.113.4.154 & 193.113.8.194 also went direct
Today (for me on pcl-ag06) all these latter ones are going to a 10 second redirect to the btwholesale tester. So whether it's Gateway or routing dependant, I don't know.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Peak time latency spikes

Quote from: Finguz
Can anybody confirm what I should be using as a password with the speedtest@speedtest_domain login?

My understanding is that the tester does not require a password, but some routers will not allow the password field to be left empty. The solution is to enter any letters you like, eg test, testing, .... The tester accepts whatever you enter so it doesn't matter. However I'd avoid numerical values like 0, 1,… since somewhere along the line those might get interpreted as something different (boolean false or true for the technically minded).
David
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just to let you all know, we've now got a case open on the TAP 3 issues. I'll keep you updated.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Re: Peak time latency spikes - TAP3 Test failure

I noticed that http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com was down earlier today and gave a very strange error, which when you clicked Ok then said it was busy!
Anyway it's now back with a tarted up type face and a new IP address 193.113.8.193.
The old url speedtester.bt.com now says Server not found.
IP addresses 217.32.105.42 & 217.35.209.142 currently go to the last visual interface but give that strange error previously mentioned when you run it.
The remaining 3 previously mentioned IP addresses currently show a page diverting after 10 seconds to the new visual interface & test.
However the red pre-amble still contains some of the stupid statements that it had before, eg. -
......please ensure:
1. Your computer is plugged into the broadband line to be tested.
This of course should say "1. Your modem/router is plugged into the broadband line to be tested."
these -
5. Reboot your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. Wait for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.
6. Restart your browser.
Should NOT be there IMHO, in fact you shouldn't do that at all UNLESS you have run the test and there is a problem with the BT IP Profile for the Line having run the Diagnostic Test. Then those steps should be followed.
The first part of note 8 is garbage as we know, a line doesn't train up to full speed, if any thing it usually goes down! -
8. Please note, it can take up to 10 days for your broadband line to train up to its full speed.
The first part should read "8. Please note, it can take up to 10 days for the speed of your broadband line to stabilise."
and then continue with "So bear in mind that any speed test during this period may not reflect the true long-term speed of your broadband."
Chris, if it's possible to take those points up with BTw at some stage as well, that would seem sensible?
AndyH
Grafter

The BT Speedtest seems to have had a little facelift, but the TAP3 test still isn't working for me. The same problem "waiting for www.abobe.com"; is in the status bar of Chrome/Firefox.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you get this message before the test has even run?
Can you screenshot the Adobe Message?
You should only be given the option to complete a TAP3 Test if your speeds fall below your Fault Threshold (generally).
Bright
Grafter

Does that mean that you can only run a TAP3 test if you've had a failed TAP2 test? That's not very helpful, if so!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's correct. The TAP2 Test will shows as a pass if it is above the Fault Threshold Rate as it is within 'acceptable limits'.
AndyH
Grafter

The screenshots are on the peak time thread, but I've reattached them. It's when you try to run the test that the "waiting for www.adobe.com"; appears in the status bar.
I think ever since the speed test went from being java based to flash based, the TAP3 test stopped working. It seems like part of the test needs access to an address that is not whitelisted from using the TAP3 login account, so it can't run.
The BT Speedtester should ask you to run a TAP3 test when your speeds are below the acceptable level for your IP Profile? If so, I don't think that's working either at the moment (have BT scrapped the test?). I will throttle my download/upload later and see if it gives me the login details.
But anyone should be able to run the test? The test has been around for ages...I remember using it when ADSL first came out in the early 2000s Shocked
Bright
Grafter

Hmmm... So if I have a problem with my broadband (let's for the sake of argument imagine that my download speed drops dramatically during the evening peak hours), I can't run a TAP3 test (by reconfiguring the PPP username and password in the router) to check if the problem is outside my ISP's network, UNLESS I have first run a TAP2 test and it has failed (below the fault threshold rate)? I think that's what you're saying, but just want to be 100% certain - sorry, not trying to be pedantic!
As AndyH said, the test has been around for donkeys' years but you used to be able to run it any time, provided you knew the correct PPP username
AndyH
Grafter

Well that one has been solved  Shocked
As Chris says, seems like the TAP3 test only works once you're diagnosed with a fault (speeds lower than the acceptable level). It gives you the option to proceed to the next step - I've taken screenshots of the proccess.
Interestingly you might be able to cheat the system and load the test from here: http://test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/indexTap3Frames.jsp?BBIP=%20&TAP=3&BBD=
If me messing around has triggered an automatic fault, can someone cancel it? Smiley
p.s. Also, how come I get 91.41Mbps from this test?  Cheesy
AndyH
Grafter

Seems like the test has progressed since the ADSL days - if I try the test3 link, I get
You appear to be logged in as speedtest@speedtest_domain, however for the initial performance test can you please not use a BT test account or the Speedtester login. Please reconfigure your service to use your normal DSL account. If you are unsure how to do this or think this message is in error, please contact your service provider for advice.
Please wait while you are redirected..

Smiley