cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New View My Broadband Usage layout

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New View My Broadband Usage layout

The point is we shouldn't have to do anything to get a temporary solution, it is an easy problem to solve to make it all browser compatible.
mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
Looking at your picture you seem to have modified chrome.css to get the bold font in the tabs
Have you installed a style using stylish

I've disabled EVERYTHING now and it is still the same. By the way, thank goodness for add-ons and styles. The browser looks drained, absolutely lousy without them  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That's why I use the Firefox 3 theme as I hated the new aero effect
Went back to the default theme with no problem
Andrew_B
Grafter

Hi Mexicano,
I'm pretty sure the problem is related to something in your settings. Something is increasing the size of the text on your page. Looking at your VMBU on my browser(s) (FF4 and IE8) shows no problem.
If you have no zoom settings set in the browser, have you perhaps increased the DPI of Windows itself? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/443-dpi-display-size-settings-change.html
I don't use a Mac, so I don't know if there's a similar setting for that OS.
In regards to fixing the problem, I'm reluctant to move the right side menu as it contains useful information and links in a prominent place.  Restricting the size of the table will force the numbers/text to get squashed which will look worse.
What we might be able to do is make sure that the table always appears on top (so it would overlap on top of the menu, rather than the other way around).  Do you have any thoughts on that solution?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Tried increasing the DPI as suggested and the problem wasn't there.
And it looked awful on my screen
mexicano
Rising Star

Quote from: Andrew
Hi Mexicano,
I'm pretty sure the problem is related to something in your settings. Something is increasing the size of the text on your page. Looking at your VMBU on my browser(s) (FF4 and IE8) shows no problem.
If you have no zoom settings set in the browser, have you perhaps increased the DPI of Windows itself? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/443-dpi-display-size-settings-change.html
I don't use a Mac, so I don't know if there's a similar setting for that OS.
In regards to fixing the problem, I'm reluctant to move the right side menu as it contains useful information and links in a prominent place.  Restricting the size of the table will force the numbers/text to get squashed which will look worse.
What we might be able to do is make sure that the table always appears on top (so it would overlap on top of the menu, rather than the other way around).  Do you have any thoughts on that solution?

Hi Andrew,
I tried the screen setting but that adjusts the whole pc and as I said before the layout in IE8 is OK.
Your suggestion sounds good but what about placing that whole box at the bottom, after the summary of usage on previous months?
Or break it up with " Your usage includes downloads and uploads
                              Usage from the last 2 hours is not shown on this page
                              Key: 1000KB = 1MB and 1000MB = 1GB
in the box above This Month in Detail
and the Useful links part:
                            View My Broadband Usage FAQ
                            Manage My Usage
                            Get the best broadband speed
                            Billing Guide
                            Wifi Security Tips
                            Keep your family and computers safe online
at the bottom or on the left?
Mark
Hary
Grafter

the layout in IE8 is OK.

You need to change the rendering engine in Firefox to have the same effect, by using IE tab plus.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-plus-ff-36/
After install you can r/click on the tab or click the Firefox icon at the bottom of the page.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still think moving the RHS menu is the best solution.
Perhaps try it for 2 weeks (ie to include Thursday & Friday) and see the feedback ?
Or what about my suggestion to not have MB to 2 decimal places, only GB ?
To modify web page setting to correct one dilemma is no help when I may have upwards of 50 webpages open in tabs, and would so be affected by such a modification
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Not having 2 decimal places on the total would make it very difficult for anyone coming close to their allowance to manage usage to avoid additional charges or being restricted. Not a good move in my opinion.
The RH table also needs to be where it is to ensure readers actually see it.
David
mexicano
Rising Star

Quote from: Hary
  the layout in IE8 is OK.

You need to change the rendering engine in Firefox to have the same effect, by using IE tab plus.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab-plus-ff-36/
After install you can r/click on the tab or click the Firefox icon at the bottom of the page.

Hooray for Hary!!! Smiley ie tab is perfect. Bit of a pain to remember to switch but that's a very minor problem. I can now sleep in peace  Cheesy
Thanks again Hary
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: spraxyt
Not having 2 decimal places on the total would make it very difficult for anyone coming close to their allowance to manage usage to avoid additional charges or being restricted. Not a good move in my opinion.
The RH table also needs to be where it is to ensure readers actually see it.

The updating is up to 2 hours delayed, and being less than 1MB out would be of no help IMHO.
As previously mentioned I can see the need for 2 decimal places in the GB totals, but not the other 7x days MB amounts
In any case, the whole point is..the total cannot be seen because it is hidden, for some people. Easily rectified.
The RH table would convey the same information wherever it was placed, and be honest, do you read it every time you (or others) access usage  ?
Andrew_B
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK
The RH table would convey the same information wherever it was placed, and be honest, do you read it every time you (or others) access usage  ?

That's true, but it would be harder to find for new users, unfortunately not everyone scrolls to the bottom of every page without prompting.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Simples!
At the top of the page have a Useful Links link that takes you to the bottom of the page, that link could be in the top centre box. What's left would be the same depth as the centre top box.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Nice one but is there any chance for Plusnet Broadband Usage Gadget for Windows 7 on the desktop will be great, I use to have broadband with ICUK and they do have ICUK Broadband Usage Gadget for Windows 7 and it was brilliant.
GrahamF
Grafter

I've only just joined Plusnet, after transferring over from Madasafish
One difference withy the Usage notification is that Madasafish differentiated between Upload and Download usage, which I found useful
Has Plusnet considered adding this facility ro their site?