Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launch of Plusnet Assist

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Launch of Plusnet Assist

Hi Folks,
Today we're pleased to announce the launch of Plusnet Assist, a new tool to help with common internet problems.
Plusnet Assist is now available to download free from our website and, once downloaded, will sit in your system tray ready to help you whenever you need.
A greater introduction can be found in our Community Blogs and details about how to download and frequently asked questions can be found at http://www.plus.net/assist
Joanne Pilson.
84 REPLIES 84
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Launch of Plusnet Assist

Is the product able to support your router configured as No-Nat with a static IP address range?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

To be honest I'm not 100% sure, knowing how it works though I'd say the majority of things will work. There's one way to find out if you fancy giving it a whirl? (It's easy enough to uninstall)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

do I get a prize for being the first to report a glitch  Cheesy
I was working in Chome and downloaded Plusnet Assists and when downloaded it booted up Explorer  Sad
I have Chrome set up as my default browser and I don't want to use explorer  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I was working in Chome and downloaded Plusnet Assists and when downloaded it booted up Explorer  Sad

This is how it's supposed to work Peter as per the information contained in the FAQ.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

OK but I have had instances where MS tried to take over my machine  Grin
You know the sort of thing when you have selected a new word processor and Windows, Outlook and such have to be gone through to make sure that they don't boot up Word and configure it as default.  Huh
As long as this Explorer implementation is not the thin end of the wedge Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and it apparently wont work for me as a free-online customer
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

20. Is this only for Plusnet customers?
Yes, Plusnet Assist has been designed to support Plusnet Broadband. We're sorry but Plusnet Assist won't provide specific support for Force9 and Free-online settings.

As a Force9 customer it lets me out too Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
hulls
Grafter

Does this raise the old chestnut about integrating membership?  As a Free-online customer, I'd be happy to be moved to a Plusnet account, as long as it doesn't cause disruption, and I can keep my user name and all of my services on the contract I'm on now (I think I already have a Plusnet account as well)
John
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Why risk disruption? I think this is one "goody" we can let pass us by. (I'm a Force9 customer.)
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: hulls
Does this raise the old chestnut about integrating membership?  As a Free-online customer, I'd be happy to be moved to a Plusnet account, as long as it doesn't cause disruption, and I can keep my user name...

That's one of the main stumbling blocks. Customers on different 'VISPs' can share the same username i.e. you can have both a FreeOnline and Plusnet customer with identical usernames. The way a lot of our systems are built, the username needs to be unique from one customer to the next.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

This won't work on *most* of my PC's.
Since it is trivial to check my router <-> Plusnet connection what is the point of this product?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It does more than that, it can help set up wireless connections, set up and fix problems with email client configuration etc. If you're able to do all this yourself then maybe you don't need to download it, however there are a lot of people who need help with these kind of things.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hulls
Grafter

Quote from: Bob

That's one of the main stumbling blocks. Customers on different 'VISPs' can share the same username i.e. you can have both a FreeOnline and Plusnet customer with identical usernames. The way a lot of our systems are built, the username needs to be unique from one customer to the next.

I did have a PN dial up user name that was the same as my FOL one, but it seems to have been discontinued. As I said though, I've got a few perks from FOL over the many years I've been with them (web space, free domain name etc), and wouldn't want to lose them by moving away.
John
artificer
Grafter

works on linux, does it?  just curious.