cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autumn Price increase FAQ's

andrewpharris

Re: Autumn Price increase FAQ's

Called up today to give notice to cancel my line as i'm going to give virgin fibre a go to be told i have to pay £30 for them to disconnect my line as it cant be transfered to virgin. Is this right, fair ...... I have been told i can leave due to the price increases but there is a nasty sting in the tail. Currently just on standard BB and LR
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: andrewpharris
Is this right, fair ......

See section 4 here: http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml .  A 'MAC key' is not used when you switch to Virgin cable.
redsetter
Grafter

The problem also is your likely to find yourself disconnected at the street cab to at some point. reconnection charges with Bt can be hefty unless someone takes the the most expensive options,if you decide to come back at a later date.
I don't know whats happening with the broadband charges but £5.99 a month is a good deal with unlimited overnight downloads.It might not be bells and whistles speeds' but not everyone needs it, so why pay more. with Bt basic line rental at £15.30 a quarter,there's no complaints about that either.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: redsetter
with Bt basic line rental at £15.30 a quarter,there's no complaints about that either.

But
You can usually get BT Basic if you're claiming one of these benefits:
Income Support
Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)
Employment Support Allowance (Income related)
Universal Credit (and are on zero earnings)
TORPC
Grafter

@ReedRichards
Do you know if any other ISP offers the same or similar to BT's Basic with benefits
It is so I can be better informed if / when I get asked that question again (I Rarely get asked anyhow)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Sorry, no @TORPC.  I did not know about BT Basic until I looked it up half an hour ago to find out how @redsetter could pay line rental at £15.30 a quarter.
deadman2020
Grafter

Nobody answered my question and I am still confused. I paid 12 months line rental just before the email dropped. Do I have to pay extra now?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

not for the line rental
you paid for 12 months you got 12 months
but the call plan may increase as will the call charges
Richchad
Rising Star

My LRS renewal is due in September and have just received an email reminder to renew, the link given takes me to a page showing my Line Rental the same as last year...

"Pay for 12 months line rental up front for £131.88, equivalent to £10.99 a month, compared to our usual line rental price of £14.50 a month."

I also have Plusnet Anytime Calls at £5 per month, which I think is not included in the recent price rise announcement, perhaps someone can confirm this?
However if I renew the LRS now and in say a couple of months time there is an increase in Plusnet Anytime Calls I have either got to accept increase or loose any remaining credit on LRS, this doesn't seem right as both services are part of the same package....
If I opt for LRS surely there should be the same 12 month fixed term for Plusnet Anytime Calls....
AndyH
Grafter

I'm still really confused by the calling plans.
Are these going up for all customers from 23 Sep, irrespective of how much you pay for line rental or LRS?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Only for those who didn't join or change product after the 10th June price increase for new customers
AndyH
Grafter

I can understand why people on LRS are unhappy though.
Looking at the call packages section of the site, it says Contracted phone packages (after 18th December 2012) are subject to a minimum period of 12 / 18 (with broadband) or 18 (with fibre) months. The following monthly early termination charges apply for customers choosing to end their Plusnet Talk service within this period (Excluding Line Rental Saver customers).
So you can be on a 12 month line rental (or LRS paid upfront), but you can also be put on an 18 month calling package. The penalties for  terminating the calling package are high:
The following early termination charges apply to products on £15.95 line rental.
Package                             Monthly early termination charge
Weekends                             £5.35
Evenings & Weekends     £6.75
Anytime                                     £7.90
Anytime International 300     £9.30
Mobile                                     £8.10

The following early termination charges apply to products on £14.50 or £14.99 line rental
Package                                           Monthly early termination charge
Plusnet Weekends                           £4.80
Plusnet Evenings & Weekends        £6.00
Plusnet Anytime                                   £8.10
Plusnet Anytime International 300   £9.60
Plusnet Mobile                                   £8.10
Talk Anytime                                           £4.25
Talk Anytime International                   £5.25
Talk Evening & Weekends                   £2.25
Talk Mobile                                           £4.25
Talk Mobile 1                                   £4.25

I assume you pay for terminating early X months left x Charge above.
I don't think it's reasonable for PN to change the cost of the calling packages for people that are still under contract. If you signed up in May with LRS and an 18 month call package, you're a bit stuck because you can leave, but you would lose the upfront LRS payment.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AndyH
If you signed up in May with LRS and an 18 month call package, you're a bit stuck because you can leave, but you would lose the upfront LRS payment.

Exactly.  On the other hand, you don't have to pay the new higher price for line rental until May 2015 so the worst case is that you pay 6 months of line rental at the new higher rate before your 18 month contract expires and you can leave (if you wish).  But you still have to pay more for some add-ons and calls as soon as the change kicks-in.
chrcoluk
Grafter

basically ofcom state if the customer can prove material detriment, then any penalties have to be waived for leaving.  Its a bit alarming people are assuming because its in a t&c its legally compliant.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

So if I renew before September 23 what will I pay? The only LRS that I can find is the new one.

Unless I'm mistaken you don't already seem to have LRS so it's not a renewal (not meaning to nitpick, just like to be clear)
It would be £137.88
Same here, my LRS ends 13th September, how do I renew, I have plusnet anytime, is there any changes to this price plan, if so may have to rethink the whole package?

If you already have LRS you should be receiving a renewal email with a link in order to do that.
Linn, Are you saying that the remaining 5 months of LRS I have, will be held to ransom?
Either I stay and pay the unfair price hike, or I leave, and you have my cash anyway?

@Devonian
I haven't been able to go through the full history of this thread, mind pointing me to what's been discussed re that or pose the question again so I can make sure we've addressed that please?
Nobody answered my question and I am still confused. I paid 12 months line rental just before the email dropped. Do I have to pay extra now?

No @deadman, you shouldn't need to pay anything extra.
Please let me know if I've missed anyone's questions that still need to be addressed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team