cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Router firmware testing

prichardson
Grafter

ADSL Router firmware testing

We're wanting to test out some new router firmware for the 582n routers (ADSL only) and are looking for some volunteers to help us test this.
What you'll need to take part:
- A 528n Plusnet supplied router (ADSL only)
- A bit of time to test the firmware
- A wireless capable device
The main changes to the firmware are:
- Wireless channel auto-select
- Device access by time of day (this allows parents/admins to only allow specific devices to connect between certain times)
- TR069 fixes (not going to be noticed by customers)
- Support for future products and services including IPv6
If you're interested please reply to this thread letting us know that you have a Plusnet supplied 582n. We'll then be in touch with those that have volunteered with more information about how to do the firmware upgrade and what information we'll be looking for.
Please don't post in here for general router support or any other queries/comments.
The trial is open to ADSL customers only, those with a Fibre service will not be able to participate as of yet. If this position changes, we will publish a new trial for your participation.
44 REPLIES 44
brueton
Grafter

Re: ADSL Router firmware testing

I am on ADSL, have a Plusnet supplied 582n, have wireless devices and am willing to test some new router firmware.
PeteB
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I have a TG582n, happy to help.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

apjashley1
Grafter

I'd like to give this a go please - my current 582n firmware is pretty flaky!
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Apjashley1,
We are aware of some issues, which mainly concern the user interface. It works in general, but you may need to take an action you would not expect to do future actions.
I will add, this firmware does not directly address these specifically, though some of them we are expecting to have improved. If you could though, we would appreciate a separate forum post detailing the problems you have. The following detail would be appreciated.
* One line description
* Step-by-step how to replicate (including starting URL if accessing the config)
* What you are expecting to see
* What you actually see / is wrong
You will likely be duplicating a lot of what we have already been made aware of and what you see in the forums, but both repetitive information and better descriptions will always help us.
prichardson
Grafter

Do we have any further willing participants for this at all?
I have been reviewing the volunteers so far and some of them may not be suitable. We are assessing this further though.
PeteB, can you supply me your username or router serial number in a Private Message please, as I am unable to find your details to make an assesment.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've only had mine for 2 days so not sure if I would notice any changes yet, still getting used to the web interface and not had any wifi issues some are reporting so far.  But yes I can test it if suitable.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
brueton
Grafter

username sent in PM.
It may be worth posting this request for help in the "Broadband and Routers" forum.
I only spotted it because I set it up so that I get an email when new posts are made in the Announcements forum.
Pete
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Phil,
As I posted elsewhere I'm thinking of getting a router from you (a) as a spare (21CN upgrade expected early next year and my router is old) and (b) to familiarise myself with the router before organising broadband for my parents. I'm happy to pay the P&P. Would you like to send me one already updated as a test of the TR069 out of the box?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: P
Do we have any further willing participants for this at all?
I have been reviewing the volunteers so far and some of them may not be suitable.
Are there further requirements other than those in the OP, then?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
macman2
Grafter

I would be happy to test this, 582n on ADSL.
MsDizzie
Grafter

Do you require any more testers Phil?
I have a Technicolor TG 582n Software Release: 8.4.4.J
I have various bits and pieces on my network (not all at the same time!), a Vista laptop, Win7 laptop, smartphones, and a DAB/Internet radio for the wifi side of things.
On the wired side XP PC, and via PowerPlugs Sky box and DVD player.
aam
Dabbler

Is the test firmware for the TG582n newer than the 10.2.2.9 version? If so, I'd be interested.  
Also will the update be pushed by TR-069 to those selected, or will it have to be installed manually?
apjashley1
Grafter

Is there any news on a later firmware? I'm running 10.2.0.B at the moment
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Were Plusnet aware that AAISP have a link on their wiki pages relating to the TG582 to download the 10.2.2.9 firmware from Matt's website? See http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/TG582N#Third_Party_Pages
Struck me as a bit cheeky.
I wonder if Matt's website should be amended to only allow access to that firmware from Plusnet IP addresses?
or amend the firmware so it doesn't work for AAISP connections!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)