Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not correctly recognising printer when connected by ethernet

notebook20
Hooked

Router not correctly recognising printer when connected by ethernet

Hi, 

Recently connected my Ricoh c3004 ex printer to the PlusNet Hub One, however the hub does not appear to be picking up the printer correctly at all.

When I go on the hone network setting in the router menu it shows the below picture - which has the other devices connected by ethernet showing with IP and mac addresses. However, for the printer it just shows 1 Gb/s and nothing else. 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Router not correctly recognising printer when connected by ethernet

Does the printer have a static IP or is it set for DHCP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

notebook20
Hooked

It's currently set for DHCP, however I still have the problem even when I set a static IP.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@notebook20 wrote:

Recently connected my Ricoh c3004 ex printer to the PlusNet Hub One, however the hub does not appear to be picking up the printer correctly at all.

Connected how?

• Ethernet cable
  • Wi-Fi
  • USB port

Posts crossing suggests Ethernet cable.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

notebook20
Hooked

By Ethernet, apologies that it wasn't clear in the first post.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Its not unusual for the Hub not to show all details for a device with a static IP.

When using DHCP , does the printer actually get issued with an IP ?

Is the problem stopping the printer from working or is it just the display on the Hub that's not correct ?

notebook20
Hooked

The settings on the printer say it does get an IP with DHCP however, even then it still doesn't show on the hub.

However, either this or something else is stopping the printer from working as no one can connect to it. Its not showing up on the standard windows find a printer, instead I'm having to specify an IP and port, and even then when its connected I get an error saying that it can't print a test page, Windows trouble shooter then advises that there is an issue with the internet connection and to restart the router and printer, but even when I do this it does not fix the issue. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Does this help - Connecting to the Ethernet Interface (Type 1, 2, 6, and 7) (mainly Europe) (ricoh.com)

What lights are showing on the ethernet port on the printer i/f?

The manual does not seem overly informative, on the networks setting page (see https://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001069/0001069817/view/netsys/int/r_ddf007.htm ) there is no mention of DHCP v4 (DHCP v6 is mentioned explicitly).

If you set a static IP address in the router's subnet range (for example 192.168.1.11) can you ping that address?  Personally I would not trust the hub interface to display all connected devices.

Does the device appear to have a DHCP v6 allocated address?

notebook20
Hooked

Hi, 

just the green light (on the bottom of the port) is lit up. When I try to ping the static address I get the below

ping 192.168.1.11

Pinging 192.168.1.11 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.113: Destination host unreachable.

Gotta be honest, with v6 I can't tell if it does, because even when I set it to auto allocated it doesn't give me any information.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's a bit strange , what's got an IP address of .113 ? is that the machine you are pinging from ?

notebook20
Hooked

Yeah, that's the IP of the machine I'm using.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Just the green light (on the bottom of the port) is lit up.

@notebook20 Looking at the link posted by @Townman , that tends to indicate that the printer is only running 10Mb (10BASE-T) . I wonder if that is causing the Hub One not to recognise it ?

notebook20
Hooked

The settings for the ethernet had changed, I've changed it back and have both lights on and am still getting this ping response.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@notebook20 wrote:

OK ... for the avoidance of doubt...

When you set the IP address in the printer to 192.168.1.11 did you se the subnet mask to 355.255.255.0 ?

Did you set the gateway to 192.168.1.254 ?

The destination host unreachable message generally means that the device you are trying to ping from cannot locate that address on the network ... which is somewhat different from the address having been found but is not responding.  See How to Fix Destination Host Unreachable Error? (systosys.com) this points to the possibility of an ARP table issue in your PC.

I have seen these issues being "resolved" after restarting the PC in question.

It seems very odd that the "hard coded" IP address is not "getting" the printer connected to the LAN.  That points to the possibility of an issue with its ethernet port ... have you tried connecting over WiFi?