Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line problem

FIXED
John_
Grafter

Phone line problem

Hello since boxing Day my business broadband has been dropping out a lot. Alsolso the phone line was a little crackly.
I did a phone line test and it said there was a problem. then a few days later the broadband came back.
But now I'm back at work again the phone line is crackly than ever and also the broadband drops out when I'm using the phone. I did another phone and check and it now says there isn't a problem. But obviously there is!
I have recently upgraded to a hub 2 but I have tried the old hub and the new one both give the same result.
23 REPLIES 23
John_
Grafter

Re: Phone line problem

Hmmm 🤔 now I've tried it and all seems normal again.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi John,

If the line is crackly, then you probably have an intermittent fault ... one with the propensity to disappear when the auto testers do their stuff.

Damp joints will markedly degrade broadband performance.  The act of testing or using the phone (especially inbound calls) can dry out the joints and all is well for a while.  Do QLTs repeatedly, follow the phone line fault reporting process and be sure to indicate that it is an intermittently noisy line.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @John_

I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your phone line and broadband.

I can see you've run a line test online and we've found a Battery Contact fault we've raised to our suppliers.

We've been given an estimated response time of by 06/01/22 23:59:59 for an engineer to investigate further.

We'll provide an update when we know more but feel free to post back if you need further help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
John_
Grafter

It seems a very intermittent problem at the moment it's fine.
As long as I don't get charged if they don't find a problem!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, we no longer charge for fault investigations so don't worry about that Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
John_
Grafter

It was playing up today had a few dropped calls. No openreach engineer has turned up yet.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @John_

As this was raised as an external fault, there wasn't a confirmed appointment booked for a particular date. It looks like our suppliers missed the estimated response time due to engineer availability and resourcing in the area.

I can see though that an engineer has been out this morning and looks to have resolved the problem. Could you confirm if everything's sorted now or are you still having issues?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
John_
Grafter

Yes it seems to be fixed now. But what the engineer did say I should raise a fault with the broadband to be because it's desperately slow, so that pretty much dial-up speeds!
But it does what I needed to do so I might not bother.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @John_

I'm glad to see your phone's fixed now.

I've tested your broadband service and I can see your speed is what's known as "chronically banded" down to 0.2mbps, caused by the fault on the line but as that's resolved, I've now reset your line to lift this artificial restriction.

Can you let me know if your speed is any faster after half an hour? Let me know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
John_
Grafter

I'm not at work at the moment but I will try it in the morning and report back.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @John_ sounds like a plan

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
John_
Grafter

Im getting 0.87 down and 0.43 up
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @John_

That is incredibly slow, but due to how far you are away from the exchange, the current estimated download speed range for your line shown Here is between 0.25mbps to 2mbps, so looks like what you're getting is on target. 

Your upload speed will always be slower than your download speed and there's no specific speed estimates for this, but anywhere up to 1mbps for an upload speed is considered good for an ADSL broadband service. 

It may be worth filling out our suppliers fibre availability form Here to ask if there are plans to provide your area with fibre.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
John_
Grafter

The phone line is back to crackling and the broadband drops out when in a call again.
I did a self phone line test and it passed.