Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining A DNS Zone File

FIXED
radius1
Hooked

Obtaining A DNS Zone File

Hi everyone,

I have been speaking with the Plusnet Technical Team to try an obtain the DNS Zone File for a domain recently acquired in a business acquisition. Usually we just have to contact the business registrar and they can provide it without issue.

I have had several many phone calls with the Business Technical Team and on Friday last week it seemed like I was eventually getting somewhere, the team member I spoke to advised she had raised a ticket to one of the nightshift team members who has been with the business for many years as he advised he would be able to obtain the file for her and she'd be able to pass it on to me.

I haven't heard anything since so I spoke to the team again yesterday and I was informed that there was nothing they could do to help. I had already been advised that they stopped dealing with domains a few years ago, so weren't trained up on it, which is perfectly fine. However, the domain still sits with Plusnet so surely they should still be able to provide the DNS Zone File? Without this we are unable to move the DNS files. But we can provide the IPS tag to Plusnet for them to transfer the domain, even though they no longer deal with domains, this seems very contradictive.

Has anyone else had issues obtaining a DNS file but eventually got hold of it? Is there any other way we can get hold of this information? It was suggested that I should be able to access it on the online account, but all that shows is basic contact information linked to the account.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Regards,

Ross.

10 REPLIES 10
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Obtaining A DNS Zone File

Hi Ross,

You shouldn't need a copy of the full zone file.

Any custom DNS records will be visible in the Plusnet Member Centre once logged in by navigating to Manage account > Manage your domains > Configure (under the domain in question).

You can validate what's there by carrying out lookups on the domain.

If this is the account I'm thinking of, then one of the two domains has already been transferred away and is neither registered nor hosted with Plusnet. What we hold in our DNS zone is therefore somewhat irrelevant.

The other domain does have a few records, all of which should be visible at the above link.

If you're still struggling, drop me a private message and I'll take a look for you. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

radius1
Hooked

HI Bob,

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. Yes as far as I'm aware it is just the one domain that dealing with. 

When I log into the Plusnet Member Centre and then go to 'Manage Account' there is no 'Manage Your Domains' option anywhere, all that shows is general account information (username, address, contact details, etc), then underneath there are links for:

Also I just tried to private message you and it said I don't have permission to. By all means private message me and I'll try to respond that way.

Kind regards,
Ross.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@radius1 Did you scroll down the manage account page.

I found 'Manage Your Domains' at the bottom right.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@radius1 wrote:
Also I just tried to private message you and it said I don't have permission to.

That's because you haven't yet made enough posts. I can't remember if it's 4 or 5 so just try another post and see if that opens the option.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

radius1
Hooked

@Strat No it definitely doesn't show. I've attached a screenshot of everything that shows below the account information.

Is this where it shows for you?

Kind regards,

Ross.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@radius1 More or less.

Maybe @bobpullen has some ideas.

Edit: screen shot attached.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

@radius1 - once logged in can you get direct to the page here?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

radius1
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen ,

Thank you so much, yes this has given me access to all the information I needed! 

If you don't mind me asking one more question, is there a way to update the name servers in there or not? I can't see anywhere that seems to suggest I can.

Kind regards,

Ross.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@radius1 - sadly not I'm afraid. Our Domain Control System is more or less still running on steam Wink

Only way is to initiate the registrar transfer, and flip the name servers once across.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

radius1
Hooked

@bobpullen ok thanks for that! You've been extremely helpful!