cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot upload files to website via ftp

Christobel
Hooked

Cannot upload files to website via ftp

Hi, we're having trouble uploading new and amended files to our website, to update it. We last did this on the 21st Feb this year. We're using a custom ftp link to the website as set up using Windows 10 'Add new network location' wizard. Trying to connect via this ftp link now causes hanging at the login stage, with the Server continually rejecting username / password (both correct), and can also eventually crash Windows File Explorer.

We've tried creating a new Windows 10 ftp link, but same results.

Please can anyone help? Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Cannot upload files to website via ftp

Hi @Christobel,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Have you been able to try and access the FTP link from another device, to see if the same issue occurs?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Christobel
Hooked

Hi Alex H, (sorry, I mean TheMightyAJ - I'm new here)

Many thanks for your reply - I did try creating a new ftp link to our website on  another laptop hosting Windows 10, but the same problems happened.

Thank you,

Christobel

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi @Christobel

What's the link you're using? If you aren't already, can you try the following details from Here?

Host address ftp.plus.net
Port 21
Username Your account username
Password The password you use to log in to this website
Initial remote directory /htdocs

If Window File Explorer doesn't work, I'd try a different FTP client like CuteFTP. Let us know how it goes Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Christobel
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Many thanks for your reply, and apologies for taking some time to reply.

The details you've cited are the details already being used for the link, and I've just tried re-creating it again without any success - it just hangs at the server end at the username/login stage.

This link was created a few years ago and we've used it successfully from time to time to update our company website content. The last update to the company website was carried out successfully on the 21st Feb 2021, but when we tried to upload new content a couple of weeks ago, the Server repeatedly and unexpectedly rejected username/password login though both are correct. This happens on two different and separate windows 10 platforms.

We can still successfully upload to a different account personal webspace using a similar ftp link (created again by the windows 10 network connection wizard a few years ago), suggesting that the problem lies at the Server end rather than in Windows 10 or our Firewall, and so the problem might still occur even with a different provider of ftp services.

We need access to our company website content, and wonder if there is any way of escalating and investigating this query, please?

Thank you for your kind attention and help,

Christobel

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response @Christobel

Can you please send me a PM with a link to the site itself? Also, are you able to access ftp.plus.net directly from Windows Explorer? As opposed to the Windows 10 Connection Wizard.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Christobel
Hooked

Hi Adam945,

Many thanks for your reply - the symptoms are happening both in Windows Explorer and in the Wizard itself. The Wizard seems to be able to create a new connection but when it tries to open the connection it hangs at the username/password login stage.

I'm a bit new here and I'm afraid I don't know what a PM is!

Thank you,

Christobel

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks a lot for getting back to me @Christobel

I've raised this matter with our NetOps Team for further investigation. This should be addressed within the next 2-3 working days, once I have a response I'll let you know. Smiley

Adam
Christobel
Hooked

Thank you Adam945, really appreciate that.

BTW, worked out PM and have sent you the link. 😊

All best wishes,

Christobel

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Haha yeah I've just received it, thanks a lot. Smiley

I'll be in touch once I hear back from our NEtOps Team about your webspace.

Adam
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Christobel 

I've received a response from our NetOps team, stating that we can't offer specific support for CGI issues, however they've tried to access your GI and have not been able to as a password needs to be set. please head over to hosting.plus,net and use the forgotten password tool to reset it before giving it another go.

Let me know how you get on. Smiley

Adam