cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

somthing is not right on new adsl

thepurseys
Grafter

somthing is not right on new adsl

moved house to not far away from my orignal house (on fiber with plusnet) i fact i am in the same cabinet and from same exchange
plusnet said i could not move my fiber connection so had to go to adsl as no spare fiber lines  Cry  new place also was on a fiber line when i moved in and not used for 2 months
had my line moved and my adsl did not work, plusnet sent a bt enginner to tell me my new place was still connected to a fiber connection not an adsl? and not been used for 2 months? so adsl would not connect, he switched me back onto a adsl line and checked my internal conection and line , done speed tests and so on
now i can get 0.25-0.4Mbps down and 0.32-0.35Mbps up! on direct cat5e link surely thats not right im sure i was quoted 2-4Mbps? no other equipment on phone line and never has been, feels stupid slow before my old place had around 3.5Mbps on avrage form the same exchange and cabinet before i swithed to fiber!
cant go back to a fiber conection as when i re contacted plusnet the system is showing no spare conections and would not submit an order? bt engineer informed me there was 2 spare as my old line is spare and the orignal line for my new property in the same cabinet is spare! oh well
either i need swap to fiber or get this adsl fixed if i cant have fiber
ps. please please fix the over loud bad music when on hold its geting to be a joke! i want to spoon my ear drums out with a blunt spoon after listening to it for a half hour a few times now!
17 REPLIES 17
thepurseys
Grafter

Re: somthing is not right on new adsl

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7152481B007072
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 05:03:44
7 - Data rate: 443/647
8 - Maximum data rate: 848/592
9 - Noise margin: 18.9/4.9
10 - Line attenuation: 28.3/50.5
12 - Data sent/received: 7.3M/17.3M
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As you say - something is wrong
Do you have a master socket with a removable lower section
If you have please remove the lower part then check that all other phone points in the property are dead
Then try the router in the test socket behind it via a filter and report the stats -It would also be worth checking for noise on the line by dialling 17070 option 2
thepurseys
Grafter

bt engineer has been to the property today to repair and do line tests while i was there also watched him check master socket.
odd thing is i can place a fiber order online at full rate for an existing customer but cant get orignal deal I was on or on any offer rate?
adie:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

you need to phone customer options - number in my sig - select I am thinking of leaving
cedlor
Grafter

I would keep trying PN for fibre - it takes time for the free connections to show as available on their system and I dont think they can be reserved.
How long have you been live?
What speed does it show for Speed at Plusnet -see link below (logon required - do not post phone number)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Current Line Speed isn't a factor here
It is the horrible sync rate with a noise margin of 4.9dB
thepurseys
Grafter

Quote from: cedlor
I would keep trying PN for fibre - it takes time for the free connections to show as available on their system and I dont think they can be reserved.
How long have you been live?
What speed does it show for Speed at Plusnet -see link below (logon required - do not post phone number)

Telephone number:
    01392xxxxxx
Phone exchange:
    TOPSHAM
Estimated line speed:
    3.0Mb (This may vary between 2Mb and 5.5Mb) - Checked on 2016-02-01 20:14:35
Current line speed:
    0.6 Mb
thepurseys
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
As you say - something is wrong
If you have please remove the lower part then check that all other phone points in the property are dead
Then try the router in the test socket behind it via a filter and report the stats -It would also be worth checking for noise on the line by dialling 17070 option 2

Then try the router in the test socket behind it via a filter and report the stats
0.5 up 0.3 down  Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Scrub that - answered your post below
thepurseys
Grafter

direct behind master socket
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:16:09
7 - Data rate: 443/1595
8 - Maximum data rate: 892/1680
9 - Noise margin: 19.2/6.3
10 - Line attenuation: 27.2/48.0
12 - Data sent/received: 1.6M/2.9M
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is a big improvement - not good but a big change
You will note that the attenuation has dropped and the speed increased indicating that your internal wiring is mucking things up
Is the line quiet and are all the other sockets dead
thepurseys
Grafter

@oldjim
all other sockets are dead and line is quiet on 17070 option 2
cedlor
Grafter

It is still useful to know and in this case quotes an estimated speed which gives something to aim for.
@thepurseys  - if the front plate is still off the socket can you get a clear picture of the front and back so we can see the wiring.
Does the socket have any matkings on it Openreach MK3 or anything.?
How long since the adsl went live?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Keeping using the test socket I suggest you update your fault ticket
@cedlor
Estimated line speeds are often totally inaccurate - what we needed and got are the speeds, noise margin and attenuation as that is specific to the line