Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

painfully slow internet

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: painfully slow internet

Dial 17070, listen to the automated response and select option 2 for the quiet line test then listen. If the line is quiet it passed. If there are crackles etc. then it is a voice fault and should be reported as such
axlstod
Grafter

hi again just did the line noise test now and i didnt hear any crackling or noises im pretty annoyed though because ive broken my extension cable to my loft which is where my xbox is dont suppose you know how to repair a snapped cable?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not a clue I'm afraid - when mine failed I just had to replace it  Embarrassed
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: axlstod
hi again just did the line noise test now and i didnt hear any crackling or noises im pretty annoyed though because ive broken my extension cable to my loft which is where my xbox is dont suppose you know how to repair a snapped cable?

What kind of cable?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

axlstod
Grafter

would love to do that too but the route its got to go by causes a huge problem.lol.
axlstod
Grafter

its a extension cable ive broken the adapter part of it  looking at it from the left its white/green white/blue white/orange orange blue then green the part thats broke off is yellow purple red orange blue and green,these were somehow attached to the others and have a black rubber to connect them together.
VileReynard
Hero

If I read that correctly, it's some kind of 6-core cable?
Sounds rather weird.
However, assuming its a telephone cable, ...
A few years back I wired in an extension telephone wire (about 15m) - however because the bit of wire I had wasn't long
enough, I soldered all the wires to their partner, wrapped insulating tape round each core and also the whole thing.
This was sufficient to be able to run 2Mbps fixed rate broadband.
I'm sure it would work for a voice line - and possibly for very slow internet.
Have you considered wireless? Grin

Oldjim
Resting Legend

If it is an RJ45 cable then this may help http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html http://www.alatec.com/info/rj45.html
You could of course just strip back the insulation and solder the correct wires to each other then wrap with insulation tape
VileReynard
Hero

If you have not done it before, crimping tools are very tricky (and not cheap) for the first few crimps Grin