Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outgoing mail smtp issue on different wifi access

bigquestion

outgoing mail smtp issue on different wifi access

Hi all,
going mad with this.
I set up a new mailbox for a colleague to use on her laptop. Her laptop is connected to an orange wifi network. She can receive email form the plus net acct but not send.
Orange divert all smtp from port 25 to their servers so can't access the plus net server to send.
I have tried using port 587 and 465 to no avail.
I have tried un authenticated smtp as suggested by the help line, doesn't connect to server.
I have tried authenticated using usernames and passwords for the login for the main account and also for the specific mailbox.
One other email acct works through port 587 (to bypass the orange restriction) so I know this works.
I can't seem to find anyway to connect to the smtp server to send. Any combination I try fails to connect (as shown by apple mac connection doctor)
This must be an issue with anyone wanting connect through wifi networks when travelling, is the only answer something like smtp2go?
Any help much appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: outgoing mail smtp issue on different wifi access

Orange divert all smtp from port 25 to their servers so can't access the plus net server to send.
I have tried using port 587 and 465 to no avail.
I have tried un authenticated smtp as suggested by the help line, doesn't connect to server.
I have tried authenticated using usernames and passwords for the login for the main account and also for the specific mailbox.
One other email acct works through port 587 (to bypass the orange restriction) so I know this works.
I can't seem to find anyway to connect to the smtp server to send. Any combination I try fails to connect (as shown by apple mac connection doctor)

As you say, Orange block port 25 to anything other than their own server. Unfortunately, although Plusnet do support authenticated smtp its only available on port 25.
This must be an issue with anyone wanting connect through wifi networks when travelling, is the only answer something like smtp2go?

It certainly is an issue, you either have to send via the networks smtp ( in this case smtp.orange.net I believe ) or subscribe to an authenticated service which supports ports other than 25.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bigquestion

Hi,
Does nobody else have this issue with connecting to a different wifi and not being able to send email?
Ian
bigquestion

misterw,
thanks for you info on this.
The added trouble is I am setting it up on a laptop, so being able to roam to different wifi spots and still send email is essential. That means that sending to the orange smtp won't work as you have to be connected via an orange connection to be able to access the orange server.
Cherrs
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If you want to be able to send from any network then the only real answer is to subscribe to an authenticated smtp service.
Take a look at smtpauth.com as an example. They provide servers on ports: 23, 25, 26, 2525 , so that copes with most networks blocking tactics.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bigquestion

Is Authsmtp the only real answer to using email when roaming, when subscribing to a plus net account....... This is crazy.
Why doesn't anyone from plus net join this discussion that seems to be a bit of an issue?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

When using most wireless networks you SHOULD be able to specify authenticated smtp using the PlusNet server relay.plus.net.
You need to use the main account username & password i.e the one you use to access the portal and you cant use SSL or any encryption for the username/password ( its clear text ) and you can ONLY use port 25.
Now this works on most wifi networks I've used, but when using Mobile Broadband many of the networks block port 25 which is the problem you have seen.
The only way round this is to connect to a server on a different port and PlusNet don't provide that facility. Their authenticated smtp is an 'as is' facility and they do not charge for it and as such are unlikely to provide for connections on different ports.
If the standard port 25 is allowed on the networks you use then fine, if not then a subscription to something like authsmtp is the answer I'm afraid.

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

I may be a little out of my depth here, but as MisterW knows, I have a place in France and sady I am forced to use the State monopoly France Telecom, aka Orange when I am there.  I will not repeat my rants here !
However, I use Outlook, and when in France, I cannot use the Plusnet SMTP server either (relay.plus.net), even if authenticated, because of the port 25 problem with Orange.  However, if I set the pop3 server to mail.plus.net as usual, and the smtp server to smtp.orange.fr, then I have no further problem and can send and receive emails using my Plusnet account without any difficulty - I just have to remember to re-set to relay.plus.net when I return, although using Plusnet's authentification, it does usually (but not always) work if I forget to change back in the UK.
I hope that migth be relevant to your case, because I imagine that Orange in the UK uses smtp.orange.co.uk.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: bigquestion
Why doesn't anyone from plus net join this discussion that seems to be a bit of an issue?

Why? They provide a service that they allow to be accessed from any ISP using the standard SMTP port. If an ISP blocks it it is an issue to be taken up with that ISP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bigquestion

Shermans thanks for the info, I can do this through Orange  which is fine, but the issue raises its head again when you want to use wifi hotspots where it near impossible to get the outgoing server details.
Jelv. I have been informed by the techs on the help line to use port 465 or port 587, so this is not only an issue of using port 25 and it being blocked by orange. It is access to relay.plus.net from any other internet connection other than via a plus net connection.
Apparently plus net did at one stage open up the authenticated access and launched this without a fanfare a while ago, it seem it might have been withdrawn, which is what I am trying to find out.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bigquestion,
We do allow authenticated SMTP however this is only available over port 25 I'm afraid. Perhaps you could try opening a googlemail account and using the authenticated SMTP offered on their platform? I believe that works on ports other than 25 and therefore should be fine for you.
bigquestion

Matt,
thanks for the clear response, at last i am hearing something clear from Plus net. I have received various responses from you tech team, both on the phone and also via the account which have been slightly contradictory.
now I know for certain that there is no work around using the plus net account and I have to go to an outside provider.
Cheers